PDA

View Full Version : Boom Jack

jcthomas
06-05-02, 07:54 AM
Can anyone tell me were to get the jacks for the boom? What is the height of the jack when extended? I know I can purchase the wing jacks. My IA is trying to get things ready for any work he may have to do on my plane.

I am also getting ready to order the manuals from Enesco.

John

Bob Cook
06-05-02, 08:02 AM
John

There are no need for boom jacks when doing an undercarriage swing. There is a nose jack point (like the wing) just behind the front nose gear. You will need to support the aircraft at that point with some form of adjustable support or jack. You will probably need to put an some sort of support (safety) underneath the rear boom as a precaution. Check the manual when you get it.

GMAS may have some other suggestions.

bob

WebMaster
06-05-02, 12:22 PM
Jerry DeSantis had some made for his plane by his shop.
Perhaps he can give you some details.

06-05-02, 12:32 PM
Your going to need about a 200-300 lb weight on the front prop. If you try to jack it without the weight or the tasil stand the airplane is going to sit on its tail and you'll end up with some major damage.

We use both a nose weight with at least two straps to the engine and back it up with the tail stand under one of the boots at the boom tiedown point. You can use an adjustable tail stand ontop of a 55 gal drum. You go up slowly and adjust the tail stand as you go up. The strut doors have to be about 34" above the ground. You deffinitely want to do it in a hanger

Once you have the aircraft at the proper height, then you add the nose jack at the forward jack point to stabilize the aircraft and so you can get in it without the nose going down. If you have a cargo pod, place a 2x4 by about 36" long laterally between pod and jack.

Ray Torres

Dale Campbell
06-10-02, 11:00 AM
I take my bird to O & N in Pa. They use a home made devise on tail boom tie down. It is a 55 gal drum on 4 heavy caster wheels half filled with concrete. It weighs about 400 lbs. In the center they have a inner & outer pipe with adjusting holes. At the top is a "U" shaped end with a bolt & nut to secure to tie down eye. Works great.

GMAs
06-11-02, 12:35 PM
Yep.. seeings how things are working today.... we'll go for broke and see if this comes out too... smile..

their are no commercial made boom jacks... yep none.. you have to make your own.. or use some of the wing jacks that lift the main wings... but, you don't need something that heavy... as their is little weight on the booms when you have it jacked up... and most important follow the shop manual.. you don't want to be jacking the nose point while having the booms supported real solid.. as it puts stress ont the rear spar and could crack it... not a good thing..

So what to use... well we have seen people use Pick Up truck tires on rims.. that have a plate bolted to the hub area... from this 1/4 to 1/2 inch 10x10 inch plate is welded a piece of 1.5 or 2 inch of squair tubing... that goes up about 5 feet... then inside of it is another piece of squair tubing that just fits inside... to that they weld a plate (again 1/4 inch) that is about 3 inches by 5 or 6 inches long... sometimes they just slot the tube and put a bolt through the two holes drilled on either side... and that goes thru the tiedown in the boom... we like the plate with a rag or some other cloth item to keep from scratching the booms on the underside... ...

now as the plane is jacked up... they put holes thru the inside tube where a bolt or screwdriver is usually stuck to take up the rear action and keep pressure on the booms equally... till it gets to the right height... and they put a bolt with a wing nut thru to keep it at that height... ...

I don't have the means to get a drawing to you on this computer but, I will post one.. that you can make... as they are real cheep to have done... cost about 30 bucks for both... and you own them...

If you don't want to use the truck tire for weight... you can use a 18x18 inch plate and put sand bags on it... to weight it down... but, the pressure is from the booms down to the ground so their is very little up lifting.... and doesn't require much...

The nose jacking point is only for stability while someone is inside... as they are right at the cg point... and shifting their weight around could cause the nose to dip... but, we have found that with the two Pick up tires and rimss... 1 ton type... that their is enough weight to keep it from nosing down... with both of them on the rear... and it makes it easy to put away for the next time... by the way... try and keep the fuel weight down when jacking... unless you use the jack pads that go under the rib for support.... we have seen a 210s jacks go thru the wing because they had full fuel and the plane was full of junk... messed up the lifing points as well as the skin...

Hope it helps.. G.M>

jcthomas
06-11-02, 05:10 PM
GMAS

thank you for the reply and welcome back from wherever you have been.

I would like to have any drawings that would help me. I do not care about the Picasso style or other crafty art that comes with it.

06-14-02, 03:01 PM
We use telescoping supports that we purchased from Grainger (www.grainger.com) for $50. Stock no. 3KR65.

GMAs
06-19-02, 01:56 PM
their is a drawing I made below that might help you make a set... Look for the title Boom Supports Drawing/plans.... GMAs

02-17-03, 12:53 AM
had the same problem when i got my 337. i could not find jacks anywere. so i made 2 jacks, one for each boom.