PDA

View Full Version : Valve Cover Gaskets

WebMaster
06-19-02, 08:34 AM
At TC, GMAS talked about stuff you can spray onto valve cover gaskets, that is an adhesive, and seals up all the leaks. I presume he was talking about something that is used when you put new valve cover gaskets on. I have some on order (finally stop the leaks on the rear engine), and wanted to get the spray stuff.
Does anyone remember what the stuff was?
Is this something that you use with the silicone gaskets? BTW, www.realgaskets.com sells these for about 1/2 the price of Chief.

GMAs
06-19-02, 01:36 PM
Next they will say its all on tape.... opssss...

Well larry it was great to fly back to the states with you... what a adventure... and view... never did see them 1011's that close before.... always wondered where the kept the wheels... when in flight... now I know... up close and personal... smile.. no really it was a great flight and I wanted to thank you again for the great time...

As to your question... I mentioned a product from permatex called SPRAY TACK... it comes in a spray can... but, we don't recomend you use it as it has gotten real expensive... it also comes in a bucket... (can with a brush) and that is the better way to go... it goes on like paint... its red in color and real thin... once on and the parts are glued togeather... well... it makes for fun watching the mechanic try and get them appart out on the ramp... smile..

Now some of the older mechanics will use permatex # 3D... that is the older way and it still works... never hardens.. and is cheep.. and by painting both sides of the gasket... you can effectivly glue the on and the screws that follow are only their for astetics... the problem comes when you have to take it appart... you almost have to use a hammer and chisel to get thing away from each other... but, it never hardens... so it says on the can... smile... It is used for a lot of other things also ...

Now their is another alternative... we use a product called TiteSeal... (we use med wt.) and they have two different kinds... light and medium... as shown we use med... it comes in a can like car wax... and is kinda grey in color... it can be used for almost all gaskets... see product specs...

You can get it from Sacramento Sky Ranch.. see web site as well as they have a 800 no... 1-800-433-3564... talk to John or Denis... and they will steer you to it... as they carry it for the mechanics... you want the med wt... and make sure you tell them its for the Skymasters Club... or mention that I sent you... and they will give you the discount.. check out their site... as John has a bunch of other stuff too that you might be interested in.. like a box of spark plug gaskets... and spark plug lube... at the same time...

Hope this helps.. GMAs... thanks again for the great flight from TC...

GMAs
06-19-02, 01:39 PM
Here are the specs on the titeseal... that you might be able to get from your local automotive store.. as well... as the permatex products... remember you want # 3D... and not 3H.... as that one does get hard... spec out 3D only.... GMAs