PDA

View Full Version : Bypass filter

Richard
06-28-02, 02:28 AM
I think I have an idea. Good one? Maybe. I have a couple of desiel trucks. I run the AMSOIL bypass setup on both. At around 10,000 miles the oil still looks like it's new. So clear you have to look close to check it on the dip stick. People go 25K-100K between oil changes.

I'm not suggesting extended oil drains on the engines. Wouldn't the engines and turbos greatly benefit from having clean oil the entire time? The setup would be REALLY easy to put on a skymaster. Could I? Should I? What would I have to go through to get it approved?

SkyKing
07-04-02, 03:50 PM
Richard,

Curious what kind of a set-up this AMSOIL bypass system is. Is it like a double filtration system? I assume your diesel engines already had oil filters installed in the system before you added the AMSOIL set-up?

SkyKing

Richard
07-06-02, 02:10 AM
Yes, the AMSOIL set up is a dual filter setup. It replaces your existing filter. One filter is a regular full flow (40 micron). At a rate of about 1/2 quart an hour. This flow through a fine filter (1/10 micron). When the oil passes through the fine filter all the combusion material is removed. So the oil is as clean as new. Once I've seen it work on my big trucks, I wondered if it would help our expensive engines. Maybe not, but I'd like to find out.

Their are several systems like the AMSOIL setup on the market. The one that would be very simple to install on a skymaster is made by OILGUARD. The people over there were also the only group that would talk to me after I mentioned airplanes. Their system is in a sealed canister. Very small. And would require a pressurized line in, and a line returning to the system. Two lines and a mounting surface of about 4" x 4". I noticed that someone had a field approval on the AMSOIL system on a 170 in Alaska. Don't think this would help us out any, but interesting that others are thinking along the same lines.

Hopefully someone here knows a little about oil and could comment on if this type of system would help our little, expensive engines.

www.amsoil.com/products/bf.html
www.oilguard.com
www.bypassfilter.com

Richard
07-12-02, 11:40 PM
Well, I've made the choice to proceed with the bypass filter. I've based this on studies with a conclusion that 60% of all wear on internal components is due to particles in the 25 to 40 micron range. Since our paper filters are good at getting 40 microns and above, everything smaller is passed. With a very small modification we can filter out 1 micron and above. According to a study done at a college in the east, shows that if you could filter out 10 microns and above you would eliminate 90% wear. Maybe I'm just a gulable sap, but I'm following the logic. I'm thinking that this would really benefit us all. The dimensions of the bypass oil canister is height - 4" width - 3". Oil flow is 1 qt / minute. I see some disadvantages. First. You are adding two more hoses. 1/8" lines, but lines none the less. Analysis of the oil is a question. The oil will always be clean. The canister is made of steel. The adapter is aluminum. AN fittings. Is anyone else interested in working on this with me? My idea is to tee off from the oil wastegate to the canister and then back to a tee off the variable controller back to the sump.

The advantages are not geared to extending TBO.. That is not what I am intending to do, but I do see that this will help maintain new performance levels and keep some repairs in check.