PDA

View Full Version : Twin Engine failure...

Jose L. Ichaso
06-30-02, 12:21 PM
From NTSB web page:

NTSB Identification: LAX02TA207

Accident occurred Thursday, June 20, 2002 at Big Bear City, CA
Aircraft:Cessna 337C, registration: N2671S
Injuries: 1 Minor.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.

On June 20, 2002, at 1931 Pacific Daylight Time, a Cessna 337C, twin-engine airplane, N2671S, was destroyed by fire after a hard landing to a residential road following a loss of engine power to both engines while on approach to Big Bear City Airport (L35), Big Bear City, California. The airline transport rated pilot, sole occupant of the airplane, sustained minor injuries. The airplane was operated by the U.S. Forestry Service for public use fire fighting missions, and registered to Aero Haven Inc., of Big Bear City. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and a company flight plan was filed for the 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 flight. The airplane departed San Bernardino, California, at an unknown time and was destined for Big Bear City.

The pilot reported that while on approach to runway 26, both engines lost total power. Unable to reach the runway, the pilot elected to execute a forced landing to a residential road. After landing hard on the road, the airplane impacted a tree and a fence. Subsequently, the airplane was consumed by an ensuing fire.
Index for Jun2002 | Index of months

Keven
06-30-02, 02:36 PM
Anyone know this bird or pilot to find out the rest of the story?

Keven
________
Body science (http://bodyscience.ws/)

GMAs
06-30-02, 03:35 PM
His story stinks... you would not do that unless you had run out of gas... bet its a older skymaster and it has the dual tanks... and he flat ran out of gas.... may be why he was trying to land at Big Bear... He is not giving enough info ... to make even a hint of what went wrong... but, with the fire at the end... it says he had fuel somewhere... I wonder how many hours he had in the airframe.... wonder if the company aero haven... might have more info on the pilot...

Either that or he had the mixtures pulled back for cruse and when he retarted the throttles he starved the engines for fuel... I have heard of that happening before... but, never to the point of failure... of course most pilots then push them all the way up.. and flood the engine next... when they should have only moved them about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch... forward... the result is that the engine floods at the altitude.. and doesn't produce power... BB City is about 7000 ft.. I think... this one is going to be interesting to find out what happened... most likely pilot error... GMAs

kevin
07-01-02, 09:23 AM
I sold a cargo pod to Aero Haven six years ago. I think he was landing at Big Bear because this is where he was based. (Aero Haven is in Big Bear.) I don't know anyone there well enough to get details.

Kevin