PDA

View Full Version : To Clear the Air.....

GMAs
07-03-02, 02:11 PM
Well after that long flight... to the islands.. where the air is supposed to be clean and fresh... you get home... and like Larry... he is picking pieces of palm trees out of the cowling... when he notices the air cleaner... opsssss he says... looks like its kinda full... guess I should check out getting it cleaned... so he heads over to Cessna parts and Cat house... with the old one in his trusty hand...

When he gets their.. he is greeted by the rubber hose sales persons... who immediately start laughing and point to him and his air filter...

When the amusement finally stops.. Larry points to the thing and grunts... like he wants one of them... promptly the sales person takes off skipping and whistling.. happy days are hear again... and returns with one that is a exact duplicate... yep its paper... and has cessna written at least 3 different places... sure enough its a guenuine cessna replacement part... and after the sales person spend 10 min on the computer figuring out how much it cost... he returns and say... how much money you got... Larry opens his wallet and moths fly out... and the laughing behind the counter starts in for round two... poor Larry... he found out it cost too much... what to do... oh what to do....

Well in steps spider man... naw... more like the aflack duck... shaking its head... says... aw---- flack.... Larry immediately knowing what the duck is saying... after all he took duck language school ... in instrument trainging... said... wow.. thanks Mr. Duck for the great advise....

So what did the duck say... well he said that you can save a bundle is you go replace your filters with the Brackett ones... aviable at local supply houses...

Ahhhh but, which ones...

Well if you have a normal asp 337... A-K series... then you want the .... BA-111 kits... to start... sells for 38.95.... now before you go off ranting and raving tha it is what the other cost from cessna... these are a little different... they have a replaceable element... that can be cleaned... in them... yep you can take them out and clean them with gas ... re coat them with stuff that they used at the motorcycle shop to keep them from catching fire... and improves the filterablity of them... its kinda a green sticky spray.. stuff... that coats the foam rubber...

But,,,, do you have to get messy.. nope you can replace the element instead for a meer 14.25... it has a part no... BA-24... but, for a couple of nickles of gas.. and a can of green goo... you can do it for less than a buck.... if you don't mind getting dirty....

Ahhhh but, Larry says I own a new improved rocket ship that used to resemble the P-337... and they use the same filter ?????

Nope larry sorry they are different... from the normal asperated engines... matter of fact they are different from front to rear... with the rear one now being certified as a PMA replacment... it carries a number of BA-5810A... but, it also has a replacement element with a number of BA-5805... and its cheeper than the normals filter element... yep it comes in at 9.25.... if you want to replace it...

But, alas.... larry is stumped .. shaking his head... saying ... what about the front engine... well here relief is not around yet... Brackett over in Arizona is working on the problem and is awaiting certification... but, it hasn't happend yet... and you still have to use the paper high priced multi-stickered cessan rip off one...

Oh... what to do....

Well you might call or Email the manufacture and tell him that you have a need for his product... and he just might light up and get one out the door for the P series fwd engine...

or.....

YOu can just sit around and pay the higher prices for the old paper ones...

Want their address... http://www.brackettaircraft.com

Remember Larry the money you save by writing or calling them.... may be your own.....

GMAs
07-03-02, 02:31 PM
Now larry which has the normal asperated aircraft... A-K 337... uses one that is held on with the long center bolt... and Larry not wanting the thing to come lose in flight is eyeing the wing nut or nut that holds the whole thing on... while in his other hand he has a 3 ft long wrench....

Ahhh larry these are made out of screen material.. and you can deform them if you put too much pressure on the bolt, wing nut... or threaded clip bolt...

so what to do....

Well after taking the safety wire off... you take the old element off.. then you replace it with the new... and when you tighten up the wing nut.. or nut.. you don't want to get real torque with it... just a slight tightening of the retainer... will do... and no larry 360 ft lbs on it is way too much... more like around 10 to 30 inch lbs... but, do we really need a torque wrench... naw.... just snug it up so it can move around... then re-safety wire the wing nut and shaft and your golden.... see it is a simple conversion...

By the way larry... you did keep the paperwork that came with the PMA approved part.. didn't you... as it is your authorization to put the part on in place of the one that cessna has.... and them papers should go into the log book....

Have the mechanic check out the work... and your golden... now you can breath deeply without fear of getting dirt into the intake or the engine... and in larrys case.. he should get better gas mileage... and with the paint job... well... it is a little extream larry.... smile... good luck... all... GMAs...

WebMaster
07-03-02, 10:27 PM
Thanks, Now I know where to get new air cleaners.

:) The mechs will want me to have a new one, when they look at the plane next week.
BTW, that picture is an old one, I currently am trying to decide which nose art I should put on.
How about this one.

WebMaster
07-03-02, 10:28 PM
I was also thinking of this one.

Don Hickman
07-04-02, 12:17 AM
Does Kathryn know how to access this website????:D

GMAs
07-04-02, 12:56 AM
Ya the first one is more approprate... to your flying... smile... after all I see you sent the duck to fighter school... smile...

WebMaster
07-04-02, 10:38 AM
Yeah, I figure that since the duck flys low, and so do I, ;) it makes a good thing. It doesn't show that he can be a dive bomber, but anyone who has hung around where pigeons or seagulls live knows they can drop deadly bombs. So I figure he's sort of a multi - role flier. Like me.
Hi Don, Yes she does, but she's busy, so doesn't, except when we talk about LOP :) , or 1011's.
Are you off to MX tomorrow? Have a good trip.

Don Hickman
07-04-02, 01:05 PM
Yep! Leaving for New Orleans in about 2 hours and then an early liftoff tomorrow morning to cross the Gulf before the heat builds up too much stuff. At least that's the plan. We'll see how it works out. I just hope I don't need your duck to help paddle my yellow rubber dinghy!

4th of July in New Orleans!

SkyKing
07-04-02, 05:40 PM
GMAs,

Just for info for the rest of the crew here, I did some checking on prices for the Cessna air filters on our '77 P-model, and here are the part numbers, superceding P/N and prices:

FRONT ENGINE: C294510-0701 -use- AM102335FP: $100.98

REAR ENGINE: C294510-0501 - use- AM102035FP: $77.76

I'm presuming that "AM" stands for AirMaze.

SkyKing

skymstr02
07-05-02, 01:54 AM
If you clean and re-oil the Brackett filters, or exceed the operating limits (calendar time or flight hours), you've voided the FAA approval. And most probably your insurance as well.

There is no approved way of cleaning and re-oiling the filter elements. And, I can tell you from personal experience, that the foam will start to deteriorate in about 18 months. Do you want that sucked into your engine? There has been more than one engine that lost power when the foam got stuck around the throttle (butterfly) valve.

I don't know about you guys, but that chump change for replacement filters is peace of mind for me.

Dave
O-2A
68-11055

GMAs
07-06-02, 11:01 PM
Dave is right... at annual you should replace them... they are cheep... but, if you fly more than regular... they can be cleaned and recoated...(the coating is a fire protectent more than a getter for dirt) its when the brown stuff starts coming off in your hands... you want to replace them... as the foam is breaking down... as to any damage... their is a screen on the inside of the filter element.. that stops rocks and small children... so the size of what gets thru might be chunkie... it would be probably the burnt rubber smell.... from the element going thu the engine... and out the exhaust... but,

Dave is correct you should replace them on a regular interval... like the element every year.... and they are cheep so its not that bad

... while your at it ... change the vacuum regulator filters too... them things that one is out on the firewall.. the other under the back deck... new is good here too.... about a buck a piece... they make them white for a reason... and if they look black... time to get one from the box... smile... GMAs