PDA

View Full Version : Customs vs. Recalcitrant Passenger

kevin
07-07-02, 11:57 PM
Folks,

Next week I am going back to Canada to drop off a couple of friends. I told both of them weeks ago to get passports, or certified copies of their birth certificates, to use for the crossing. One of them forgot to do so, and now is whining that he crosses the border back and forth all the time in a car with just his drivers license. Has anyone out there crossed in either direction in a airplane with just a DL? Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks,

Kevin

WebMaster
07-08-02, 07:44 AM
The last time I crossed into CA, I had my passport. It makes life much easier. Customs doesn't fool around, and while your passenger may go back and forth by car, planes are viewed with more suspsion. Also, when was the last time he went accross? Since 9-11, the borders have been really tightened up. Tell him to get his stuff in gear, or it may jeapordize your trip.

Bob Cook
07-08-02, 10:01 AM
I travel btwn Canada, US and bahamas. Never bothered using passport at ANY time although it has been avail for myself and all pax.

2 pieces ID, birth certificate and Driver's license (suffice for pix id). If they are a foreign national then u need a passport or proof of visa.

Things are no different since 9/11 for US or Can citizens. Others? maybe tighter.

You can always call ahead to customs and get confirmation (get name and badge number).

MOST IMPORTANT, make sure you call ahead using gate or canpass numbers and notify customs! ADCUS no longer Valid and you will get a customs warning if you violate this proceedure. This is where things have tightened up.

Just crossed yesterday at FPR and very routine.

Bob

GMAs
07-08-02, 05:40 PM
Kevin....

You just hate these kinds of passengers... well here is what we did a little while ago... on a trip...

We went to Mexico... and some others wanted to go along... I suggested that they get a passport as its easier to get thru.. most govn't will reconize them and with a stamp of the old pad your off...

So I had one that didn't listen.. he instead though that his drivers license and SS card were enough... annnnntttttt wrong answer.. we were detained for over 4 hours while he tried to get his paperwork in order...

So we set a standard right their... and it is ....

The owner/operator of this aircraft doesn't care what you want to take for ID... here is what We recommend.._________ that you take as the rest of us are .... taking this... You may bring what ever form of ID... you like... however... if we are delayed for more than 1 hr due to your paperwork not being correct...at customs.... we will remove your belongings at that location and depart without you.... we are leaving.. and you can take the bus or what ever other form of transportation you chose back to home... or to contenue on... We offer no assistance in either the form of transportation or compensation. You travel at your own risk and as such are responsible for the necessary paperwork for proper identification to be provided to the pilot,crew and or customs agents.... and agree to have them inspect your property as deemed necessary for a safe and legal flight.
The following is required for admission to and from this border crossing... and they will accept the following as alternates if you do not want to use a passport.
________
________
________

A check of these items and your property will be done during preflight by the pilot/crew before departing from_________ field/airport. Any items not deemed satisfactory or legal to the pilot/crew or customs will be removed and left behind.

We sent this out to the people who were going this time... and you know what.. they all had their passports... smile... I think it has something to do with the fear of being left behind....smile.. no more whining... GMAS

and yes we had one that was trying to bring some drugs back into the country for a friend... another was trying to bring fireworks that were not legal... both of which were given the choice of either keeping their conterband and staying their with it... or removing and getting rid of it and coming back with us....most chose to leave the stuff behind and come home.. without it...

You hate to be a policeman but, you have to... as you know what will happen when the customs people inspect you.. and you would hate to lose your plane....

As pilot and owner you are responsible for the passengers... even if they are a little dim....

Don Hickman
07-18-02, 09:52 PM
Bob, Larry and all:

Just got back from a great trip to Mexico and have been catching up on all the message threads this evening. After reading this one I just had to add my 2 cents worth.

We flew across the Gulf of Mexico from Cancun to New Orleans and went through customs and immigration there. What surprised me was that the officials in New Orleans did absolutely nothing! I mean they not only didn't look in the plane or ask to see our bags but they didn't even ask to see our passports!

When we came back from the Bahamas in May I was a little surprised at how lax the inspection was in Florida but at least the immigration guy did ask to see our passports. But not this time in New Orleans.

So, as Judy and I were taxiing over to get some gas I remarked on how much stuff we could have brought back. She, of course, immediately pointed out how we would surely have been taken apart if we had tried. Smuggling is not my thing so it doesn't matter, but after 9/11 I would think that the officials would have made some effort to check us out. I can remember when every passenger and every bag used to get checked upon returning to the U.S. No more.

As a side note for anyone planning on flying to Mexico, probably ought not to try entering the country on a Sunday. We crossed the border at Brownsville, TX and landed at Matamoros to go through Mexican customs. Bad idea! They were very nice and polite but it turns out that there is a "special" fee for "special" services on Sundays there. About $115 U.S. There's even a sign on the wall announcing the need to pay for special services outside of normal business hours. In the future, we'll go Mon-Fri or be sure to land at a bigger, busier airport that has 7 day/week service. We couldn't fly direct to Cancun on the way down due to a massive low pressure system that was threatening to turn into a tropical storm in the middle of the Gulf. But the weather was great on the way back.

I'd tell you all about locking myself out of the plane in Villahermosa but I'll save that story for another time. Glad to be back in the States.

rick bell
07-18-02, 11:00 PM
it is easier to make sure all have the necessary documents before
going. if all know they can't board unless they have all the docs. they will take the time to do it if they wish to go.

the $115.00 fee for an internation mex airport sounds fishy, they are all open 7 days a week, with hours usally 8 to 6. i would fax mexico city where you get your yearly pass and complain, sounds like a local scam