PDA

View Full Version : Big Wheels And Big Brakes?

rick bell
07-16-02, 07:17 PM
anyone know where to find big tires (18x5.5), rims, drums(almost doubble the size of the orginal drums), and larger calibers. these calibers also retract the pucks via a spring assemble inside the caliber so the linings never touch the drum if there is no brake pressure being applied, allow for a much more rapid excelleration at the start. also the drum and linnings are metalic, not organic.
saw this set once on a skymaster but forgot where.

Wayne Pearce
07-17-02, 06:22 PM
Rick,
I have the exact setup you describe including metalized pads but I do not have retract springs on the caliper pistons, is this a separate modification ?

Regards ......Wayne

rick bell
07-18-02, 01:27 PM
inside the caliber there is a (i believe a flat springs that put retract pressure on the puck, maybe 50lb?) so when there is no brake pressure being applied the drums spin completely free.
from the outside you would not be able to tell. anyway i am trying to locate the same setup for mine, just can't find any data parts no. ect. it wuld be greatly appreciated if you or anyone has any info where to find this set up to pass it on. thank you rick

Kim Geyer
07-24-02, 10:49 PM
Rick
We have 3 Skymasters with the 18X5.5 tires and large brake calipers. You can order all the parts from any Clevland dealer. You can bet it won't be cheap, We just replaced one of our calipers, our cost was @$850.00 But it even included the attachment forging that goes on the axle stub. The caliper itself does not have return spings inside, but with metallic pads the rolling friction is almost nothing. Email me if you want part numbers.
kimgeyer@carolinastainedglass.com
Kim

rick bell
07-27-02, 09:52 PM
thank you kim, i have sent an e-mail, rick