PDA

View Full Version : Rear engine needed maybe:

bncme262
07-19-07, 02:46 PM
I could use a little advice and possibly a rear engine. I was told by the seller that the rear engine had a prop strike and now it has an oil pressure problem. Here's the question: on an engine with good oil pressure, if you pull the plugs (i should ground the spark plug leads to prevent damage to the bendix magneto?) and spin the engine will it inicate, show or build up any oil pressure using a mechanical guage hooked into the engine, or does the engine have to start to show oil pressure. could the oil pressure problem be due to a weak spring on the or stuck open oil pressure relief valve and could i possibly restore oil pressure by injecting oil (pump lost it's prime after sitting) or by putting in stronger springs on the op relief valve. or do i have to start the engine to confirm the lack of oil pressure? to get at the oil pump on the back engine am i better off to pull the engine? has anyone pulled the oil pump by going in through the interior and the back firewall or is that just not worth the trouble? my experience has been in car engines where you could pull the plugs, spin it on the starter and get some oil pressure? thanks f0r help and advice. when did the var cranks start appearing, what year and model engine s and skymasters? it's a 1966 337A with engines over tbo.

Pete Somers
08-18-07, 11:08 AM
Maybe you should have posted this on the Message Forum page.
You need to connect a gauge directly to the oil pressure line out of the engine and start it a see what pressure you get compared to the gauge in the cockpit. A compression check would also be advisable as it would let you know the state of the engine.

1 What is the oil pressure when cold.
2 Does it go down rapidly when the engine warms up.
3. How much does it vary with RPM.

Regards
Pete

bncme262
08-20-07, 09:40 AM
thanks for your reply. last time i was out at the plane, the front engine was started and ran ok (no compression check done yet) but the alternator is not turning on the rear engine which most likely is related to a problem in the accesory case where the oil pump is and due to op problems, oil leaks, hi time,inaccesibility of the rear engine accessory case i'm pulling the engine, anyone have any machine shops they like or private ap/ia engine assemblers they know, can't afford a shop overhaul. tx ben

atsiii
03-05-08, 10:45 PM
This post is from last August, so I'm pretty late, but I was about to post that I have two (2) TSIO-360A engines, one front and one rear, from a 1968 T337. I will be posting elsewhere on this board.

Allen
atsiii - at - ceoexpress.com

FRED MARQUEZ
11-14-11, 04:57 PM
I have front and rear motors for sell
will sell as cores no log books
turbofrix@hotmail.com