PDA

View Full Version : Mackinac Island

Bob Cook
07-31-02, 08:46 AM
Keven, Don, Larry and Rick (or anyone else)

We planned Mackinac Island meet for the 17th of August. Larry and the guys have an airshow that weekend and Keven seems he has other commitments.

We need to book hotels. I was recommending to fly into Mackinac City on Friday night then head over to the island in the morning (abt 10 miles).

I need to coordinate hotel accomodations, etc. This place gets busy in the summer.

How many are interested in the 10th vrs the 17th. If we do not get a response in the next couple of days we are going to head up on the 17th regardless.

how many heads and who?

for the 17th ?
for the 10th ?

either email me personally or give me a call on the phone. I know I am going to do a lot of phoning to find a spot to stay. There are some reasonable accomodations on the mainland and hopefully at the 3 star hotels downtown. The grand is a grand price.

regards

Bob

BTW Keven, it is 4 hrs flying for you from greensboro.

07-31-02, 09:47 AM
You guys have fun. Mac is one of our favorite places... have done the Chicago-Mac sailboat race a number of times.

I brought all the stuff for you I had promised and I looked for you at OSH and came up empty. Kevin did come by the GAMI booth and we had a nice chat. I gave him the MP/RPM/ROP chart we had talked about.

Sorry we missed each other.

Walter Atkinson
Advanced Pilot Seminars
<www.advancedpilot.com>

kevin
07-31-02, 01:11 PM
I think he means Keven, not Kevin. Or maybe it was Kevin McDole. We were all there. Sorry I missed you Walter. I came by the booth, but it was mobbed, planned to come back, but never made it.

Kevin (webmaster, not lawyer)

Bob Cook
07-31-02, 01:32 PM
Walter

Sorry I missed you. I spent lots of time at TCM and the FADAC engineers. Rather interesting.

Would appreciate you sending any material available by email or via post.

Decided to leave early due to wx and I hate sleeping in a wet tent...

bob

07-31-02, 02:24 PM
Bob:

Shucks. Sorry I missed you.

<<I spent lots of time at TCM and the FADAC engineers. Rather interesting. >>

Interesting, yes... but, sadly, not workable. I am VERY familiar with FADEC and in it's current configuration I will stand by the statement that it is completely unworkable... especially in the real world. 26 sensors and if any ONE of them fails, the system does not work. I have seen both the pilot's manual and the maintenance manual. The maint. manual FILLS a 5" ring binder and the Pilot's manual is so large and complex as to be esentially worthless.

So far, I am unaware that anyone has gotten a FADEC unit off the ground without CHTs being 45OdF or more. On the IO-550, the FF at 75% power is OVER 19gph and the unit forces LOP operation and ROP operation depending on rpm. The pilot can NOT affect this. There is no mixture knob.

Sad. It could cost TCM their existance, which would be bad for all of us.

OTOH, the PRISM system, which should be flying on experiementals by the end of this year and on Certificated aircraft in 12-18 months is really working--even on 91 octane fuel--without detonation. It really works and it is currently being tested on the toughest engine in the fleet where detonation is concerned, the Lycoming IO-540J2BD of the Navajo. It seemlessly controls the detonation and really works. HP is up both on takeoff and in cruise with PRISM. You can check it out at <www.GAMI.com>

Walter

GMAs
07-31-02, 06:16 PM
I got word that the people over at Riley are showing off their new stuff at the show.. didn't see any word from you guys about going by and looking...

ANN covered the new products that they are coming out with.. and like me... GAS is dead... the EPA and the rest of the world is getting on with other fuels... you need to go back to their web page and look up the new fuel engine... they have one runing on a 182 and its great... half the fuel useage... and better performance.... it was quite a article that they passed along... to me... but, when I questioned about the club being put in the news...... nada ... (I'll explane why later) so it looks like we may ask Riley to hold a special meeting out here on the coast and show off their new products... they claim that they will have a new 300 hp 4 cyc deisel engine in ... just maybe the new skymaster... wow... and the specs look great...

Sorry the old gas stuff is dated... as in other countries gas is also on its way out... Jet A and deisel is the new way.... more energy no lead... cheeper fuel.. that doesn't go bad as quick... and simpler metering... thats dependiable... on half the parts... (no ignition). Its the only way to go... that meets the new regulations from your friendly enviromental group.... lends itself well to turbo... and longer engine life too... about 3000 hrs.... now all they have to do is keep the props on the thing... as it cruses at 1800-2200 RPM but, they claim its smooth at that speed... while it can run up to 3200 RPm... one problem that I can see is the control... we will have to learn how to fly all over again... as their will not be a manafold pressure... kinda thing... more fuel flow/control...

07-31-02, 06:38 PM
<Gas is dead>

Time will tell. If you are correct, the fleet will be grounded and general aviation will be finished.

My bet is that there will be a new fuel with no lead--95UL-- which will work on most all the fleet just they way it is with about 30% of the aircraft needing the new PRISM electronic ignition to continue to be flown. BTW, in the event you are unaware, 95UL is the SAME as 100LL without the lead. It can be easily manufactured with no changes other than leaving out the lead. 70% of the engines in use today can use 95UL now without any alteration.

As I said, time will tell which of us is closer to the correct call.

Remember, you heard it here!

Walter

Bob Cook
07-31-02, 06:49 PM
Re Diesel

MaryAnne (Ms. Riley) announced at the show on Friday they may have a new diesel conversion (new engines) for a mere 200,000 dollars. *** 200,000.00***** USD!

AH! Now that makes sense. You buy a 50 k dollar aircraft and invest 200k in new engines since they are not available for the P versions and you increase your tbo by a few hundred hours?

If they work anything like the airconditioning system I will wait awhile. They need to perfect it first!

I am sure some form(S) of fadac will solve the problem along with different fuels. By that time I will be flying a wheel chair.

I honestly believe, based on the show, there is a small 2-300 turbo prop engine around that will be a competative alternative.

In the meantime we just jockey the levers and put up with 1920 technology..

Bob

Rickskymaster
07-31-02, 08:02 PM
We are in for the 17th, and there are 5 of us coming.

Rick

WebMaster
08-01-02, 07:43 AM
The 17th is the only practical date for us as well. We're doing the airshow in the AM, lunch time, and out of there about 2-3 PM, up to MCD, which about checkin time for the hotels.

Keven
08-01-02, 11:26 AM
Sorry folks, Allie Cat and I are not going to be able to swing Mackinac this year due to schedule probs. Hope you all have a great time. We're jealous.:(

Let's try to get something else scheduled!

Keven
________
Lincoln Town Car (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Lincoln_Town_Car)

08-01-02, 11:59 AM
Bob:

<<In the meantime we just jockey the levers and put up with 1920 technology..>>

Tain't it the truth! <g> As an interesting aside, these TCM and Lycoming engines with all their supposed *outdated* technology are still pretty darned good engines. They are operating with a Brake Specific Fuel Conmsumption of around .38 and that's pretty dog-gone good. Todays cars can't match that.

It really is amazing how good they are. It is us pilots who are the weak link in engine management. We're trying hard to fix that.

Walter Atkinson
<www.advancedpilot.com>

Guy Paris
08-01-02, 04:38 PM
Ok Guys where is Mackinac Island???? Guy Paris from New Hampshire, U. S. of A.

Bob Cook
08-01-02, 05:44 PM
Guy

It is 591 miles 308 magnetic from KMHT.
Mackinaw is KMCD and is located in the straight between lake michigan and lake Huron. They allow aircraft but no cars. www.mackinacisland.com.

WALTER

Owned a 41C&C called Tethani (named after daughter of sitting bull) and it won the Port Huron to Mackinaw race in '82 or 83 if I remember correctly. Sailed it to the Carribean and back in 85-86.

:o :o

Mackinac Bookings for hotel

I am trying to find accomodations for Mackinaw. Larry, are you staying over one night? and others? I will book Friday night for us at Mackinaw City which is on the upper penninsula. Getting in around 9:30-10 PM.

Please give me your preferences by just emailing me.

Bob

WebMaster
08-02-02, 09:42 AM
We will probably just come up for dinner.

I suggest the Hotel Iroquois for dinner, since it is right on the water, but not by the ferry, has excellent food, good wine list, reasonable prices, good service.

There are other places, but they tend to be more touristy, or a bit out of the way.

Guy, and others, the approach is over water, at some altitude, since the airport sits on a bluff, on top of the island. Very cool. No over flying the town during approach or departure. Also, they disapprove of low approaches, ;)

There is another website, aren't there always, www.mackinac.com

Bob, are you in Canada, or TC?

08-04-02, 05:31 PM
Bob:

<<41C&C>>

NICE! I've raced on C&Cs. Tough, good boats for offshore work.

Walter

Bob Cook
08-04-02, 08:03 PM
Walter

Carried us thru the edge of a hurricaine at Cape Fear in Nov 1986. This is the reason my other half no longer appreciates sailing <G>. She does like flying.

If u have those tables in pdf format or something email me the info.

tnx

Bob

WebMaster
08-05-02, 10:58 AM
I suggest we meet at the Iroquois Hotel for Dinner, about 5:30. They want reservations for large groups, so we'll need to know who's coming.

08-05-02, 12:54 PM
Bob:

Can you take an Excel file? If so, send me an e-mail and I'll forward it to you.

I've got a nice copy I can fax you as well.

Walter
www.advancedpilot.com
<ace@walteratkinson.com>

WebMaster
08-06-02, 09:19 AM
All of you folks who are planning on going to Mackinac Island for dinner are cordially invited to stop for lunch at 4N0, Newman's field, 294 degrees, 9.3 miles, from Kalamazoo (AZO). A heading of 16 degrees, and 220 miles later, you're at Mackinac. An easy 1.5 hours. Lunch starts at 11:30, August 17th. We'll have the customary skydivers, and hope to have an Albatross (HU-16) amphibian visit. There is also a strong possibility that one of the local P-51's will stop in.
See you on the 17th.

Jerry De Santis
08-12-02, 08:36 PM
Bob, Larry or anyone else that may know! Who is going to Mackinac Island next Saturday? what time will we meet and where? I plan to fly up after the flyin at Newman's. What other Skymasters plan to go to Newman's prior to Mackinac?
Cheers
Jerry;)

WebMaster
08-12-02, 08:51 PM
Jerry, I'll be at Newmans, and at Mackinac. I suggested that we meet at the Iroquois, at 5 or 5:30. it probably makes more sense to meet there at 5, since that's when they open, and if there is a large group, we can be seated easier.
That means leaving Newmans at 2:30, or 3.

Bob Cook
08-13-02, 12:08 AM
Larry, Jerry, Rick and Et All,
Will be staying at Mackinac City Friday night since we will be arriving late.
Have sat night booked at the Grand Hotel.
Iroquois fine for dinner. I can monitor 123.45 for your arrivals and comm.
Intend to leave mid to late Sunday. Sunday brunch at the G hotel and perhaps a round of golf.

There will be 2 or 4 in our party, not sure yet.
will give u my 303 cell # if u email me.

fyi

bob

Jerry De Santis
08-13-02, 12:36 PM
I will not be staying over night and will leave about 8:30 pm to fly back to BTL. So far there are two in my party but by Saturday may grow to four. Larry, I'll see you at Newmans and let you know the count. Do you know how many Skymasters will be at Mack

WebMaster
08-13-02, 02:58 PM
I have reservations at the Hotel Iroquois, for 5 PM for all of us. I let them know the number may be flexible, and since we are in when they open, that's cool. The reservation name is Skymaster, so if anyone shows up, they'll know where to seat you.
I have Jerry for 2 or 4, Bob for 2 or 4, me for 4, Rick I think you said there are 5 of you folks, is anyone else coming?

Bob Cook
08-13-02, 05:44 PM
Larry

Will let u know by Friday how many are coming. Think it will only be the two of us.

Have you been into MIsland airport at night? Approach can be tricky.

c u on sat.

bob

Jerry De Santis
08-13-02, 06:06 PM
Bob, Larry and whoever, Mackinac Island (MCD) has lights. Standard 3 clicks in 5 seconds. Just focus on runway and its
like any other airport. Plenty of runway, 3500 feet. Although the airport closes at 7 P.M., you can arrive and depart 24 hours a day. 122.8 for lights. See ya at Mackinac.
Jerry:D

Keven
08-15-02, 09:01 AM
In typical Kenison schedule changes fashion, it now looks like I may be in Bryan, Ohio (0g6) tonight (NW corner of Ohio). Thus, I may have a shot at getting to Mackinac Friday for dinner.

Is the Iroquois restaurant on the island or in the city?

And, if by chance I do get there, is the hotel flexible enough with reservations to accomodate a slug like myself?

Bob, Larry, Jerry, if you folks will e-mail me your cell numbers I'll update later tonight or tomorrow with my status and find out what's going on where.

After I leave this afternoon, I will not have access to the web, so I'll be officially out of touch (in the communication sense rather than common sense).

Thanks,

Keven
________
Lovely Wendie (http://www.lovelywendie99.com/)

WebMaster
08-15-02, 09:13 AM
Dinner is Saturday night, Keven. Talk to bob about hotels.
The Iroqouis Hotel and Restaurant is actually on Mackinac Island.
My cell number is 616-330-8308.

WebMaster
08-15-02, 09:16 AM
You can call me at work at 1-800-632-2955, extension 1396.

Jerry De Santis
08-15-02, 04:13 PM
Keven, Office no. 616-965-6311
cell no. (not jail), got to be careful with you lawyers--616-209-0809
Plenty of Hotels in Battle Creek. BTL about 20 or 25 minute from your Ohio location.:D

WebMaster
08-17-02, 09:35 PM
Well, MCD was a bust. No one showed up, weather forecast was pretty horrible. We had our little fly in at Newman's Field. It was a little breezy (var 190 - 240, 14KTS, G28). Ceilings were a little low (BKN 008, OVC 017). It cleared up a little, but the wind didn't subside, only get stronger. I flew in, so did Jerry Desantis, and 4 other planes. Quite a drop from the turnout last year, 86+ planes, 26 helicopters. I hear that there was a nice airshow out by Kevin's, in ORE.

kevin
08-17-02, 09:49 PM
Sorry to hear the weather didn't cooperate for you. We actually had two flying events here in Portland this weekend. The Rose Festival Airshow at Hilllsboro Airport, which I usually attend but did not due to time issues this year. It is a big commercial airshow, and frankly, if the tickets weren't free because I am based there, I would skip it. Also, the Northwest Antique Aircraft Association fly-in is at Evergreen Field near Vancouver/Portland this weekend. I usually go to that, but again, it is a tough weekend timewise, I need to finish a project by the end of the coming week. Deadlines are so much fun...

Kevin