PDA

View Full Version : Soapa 2009

WebMaster
12-14-08, 07:10 PM
There are several locations recommended. Please vote for the one you think would be best, and the one you want. You can only vote once, and you can not change your vote.

WebMaster
12-15-08, 06:29 AM
This is from Beth

Branson Getaway
2 Nights Accommodations
1 Music Show
2 Continental Breakfasts
Branson VIP Discount Book & All Taxes
$179 February 1 - September 30
Package Price Based On 2 People
Additional Child $17.00 (Ages 4-11)
Additional Adult $32.00
Best Of Branson # 1
3 Nights Accommodations
Choice of Dixie Stampede Dinner Show or
Showboat Branson Belle Dinner Cruise
3 Music Shows
(Choice of Andy Williams,
Broadway! "The Star Spangled Celebration"
Dick Clarks American Bandstand Theatre,
Jim Stafford Show, Yakov Smirnoff,
Mickey Gilley w/Joey Riley,
The Shoji Tabuchi Show,
Noah The Musical New Show)
3 Continental Breakfasts
Branson VIP Discount Book & All Taxes
$329 February 1 - September 30

WebMaster
12-15-08, 06:38 AM
The New Orleans Jazz Fest has been held for 40 years

http://www.nojazzfest.com/

It gathers some of the worlds greatest musicians, literally hundreds, every year. Last year included Stevie Wonder, Aaron Neville, Jimmy Buffet and others

We would propose to have our skymaster meeting during jazz fest, starting April 29, Wednesday, with a tour of Continental Motors, located in Mobile, less than 1 hour flying time away.

WebMaster
12-15-08, 06:56 AM
Portland Maine is a scenic city on the South Coast of Maine. It is a harbor city, with a rich heritage. And, MAINE LOBSTER.

http://www.portlandmaine.com/index.php?sec=1

We would propose to have a windjammer cruise one evening.
A tour of Oxford Aviation http://www.oxfordaviation.com/index.html would be included in our program. Oxford Aviation is the facility that has done much of the work for AOPA's latest project airplane.

WebMaster
12-16-08, 07:50 PM
The music lineup has been announced.

http://www.nojazzfest.com/

It includes Aretha Franklin, Tony Bennett, The Neville Brothers, Bonnie Rait, Buddy Guy (I thought he was dead) Ellis Marsalis, Dave Matthews Band, James Taylor, Earth Wind and Fire, Pete Fountain.

Wow, what a gathering of truly great performers.

hharney
12-16-08, 11:22 PM
OK
There have been 97 people view this thread and only 8 people have voted! Come on let's exercise our SOAPA rights.

hharney
12-17-08, 06:05 PM
http://www.bransonairshow.com/

WebMaster
12-17-08, 09:16 PM
I saw the note about the airshow, and the fact that they are opening a NEW airport, the formal dedication is after the airshow.

SteveG
12-18-08, 02:02 PM
Regarding the Branson option, my interest in Branson's malls, "B"stage shows, etc. is near zero but an alternative for your consideration would be to fly into Gaston's Resort. Use it as a base of operations for lodging, meals & conference facilities. Then based on one's interests, stay for some fly fishing and R&R or fly/drive out to Branson for its commercial opportunities but reserving one day to attend the opening air show at Sir Richard's latest brainstorm. Developing that idea into a fully fledged program would pique my interest. But anyone else's? Gaston's - 3M0, Branson - BBG, Taney Co. - PLK

John Hoffman
12-21-08, 09:57 PM
Larry - I voted for Branson and Memphis, both can be flown into from any direction in case of some weather. Have a friend in Memphis and allways wanted to see Graceland, listening to the all Elvis channel now. Have been to Branson a few times over the years and allways found things to do. Mexico is fun but I parked the Skymaster in SanDiego last fall and flew commercial to Cobo, just not worth the hassel for me to my self in. New Orleans is fun and the wife would enjoy it, havent been there in a while, maybe should have voted for that one also. Not a Jazzman but theres plenty to do there. Thanks for your work on the meeting.

hharney
12-31-08, 08:14 PM
It looks like the interest for Branson is the highest and most talked about. Unless anyone disagrees please post here now. The voting is closed and it's a tie. I would say that if no one else has any input the meeting committee will be taking up the info above and trying to determine the best spot to land. It does sound like Branson would be very central location, offer many different activities, the airport is really friendly to these kind of flyins. There is a Clarion Hotel with shuttle service from the airport right on the strip that hosted a pilot convention last year and it had great reviews. If we book 10 rooms the rate is $79.95 king/queen and the conference room would be $125 for all three days. So post your ideas for the committee to consider.

The current airport is about 2 miles from this hotel and they have shuttle service at no charge. Wouldn't need to rent a car if you are staying close by. For those that want to venture out to fly fishing the FBO has Avis rental in the building.

The airshow is Sat (May 9 & 10) and Sun so we could have our meetings on Thurs / Fri and an opening Wed night like normal. Those that wanted to stay for the airshow VIP tickets can be had for $60 for both days, that includes meal and access to the VIP tent area front row seats. http://www.bransonairshow.com/

Well let's make some comments here, how does it sound??

ipasgas1
01-01-09, 11:06 AM
I was hoping for New Orleans for the sites and ambiance. I have never been to Branson but assume it would be OK, not sure I would enjoy it as much but would try:) Will it be much of a concern trying to fly in or out with the airshow going on? I know it won't be a beehive like OshKosh but...? I was really looking forward to the Jazz and taking in a couple of haunted tours in New Orleans as well as helping their local economy a little bit. This will be my first SOAPA meeting if I can get her scheduled. I was excited about Michigan and then got stuck on call with work and didn't get to come. I really wanted to see the Brothers speaker and film. When is the next Bahamas sorte?

hharney
01-01-09, 01:21 PM
Well New Orleans is still on the ballot because of the tie. The committee will take your comments in consideration. I don't see that departures from Branson will be an issue. I am sure there will be a flight restriction over the airshow (new airport) but not the airport we will be based at.

There were some concerns about New Orleans based on others that have been in and out of there recently. There is not an airport that is real convenient for us to base from. The best one is the main International airport and that gets really expensive to park and fuel. Then it's quite a hike to downtown and no real good shuttle service. At least no free shuttle service. Anyway this is some of the issues in consideration for New Orleans. Thanks for your comments and where ever we end up I hope that you can join us.

If you come to SOAPA 2009 you can join the 2010 meeting committee and put your vote in for the Islands.

John Hoffman
01-01-09, 02:02 PM
Allways tough to choose, I have been to both locations but would choose Branson. If you are basing at the old airport I remember it as super convenient, could see some of the College buildings on the next hill and town was just beyond them. Probably over all a more economical trip. We always rented a car to bounce around. There are some nearby lakes and the local College was a nice suprise, great student run restaurant, and spent most of a day going thru a museum they have on campus that had a huge firearms collection.

Paul462
01-08-09, 01:25 PM
Dauphine Hotel (1 block off Bourbon Street in the French Quarter) just quoted an average of $216 per night plus tax for the nights of Wed 4/29/09 - Sat 5/2/09, Continental breakfast included. They currently have 22 rooms available. Maybe a group rate discount could be negotiated?

We generally land at New Orleans Lakefront - going into Louis Armstrong Int'l. would be like landing a small plane at JFK instead of Teterborough. A few months ago, Lakefront tie-down cost depended on the FBO - Flightline was charging $15/night (ramp fee waived with 20 gal. avgas purchase), which is less than the $20-25/night some French Quarter hotels charge for car parking, and for $15/night your airplane gets a lake view! Prety toni. We generally rent a car at Lakefront.

Paddlewheel dinner cruise with a live Dixieland Band (the Dukes of Dixieland, I think) was around $35 a year or two ago. The New Orleans Acquarium is within walking distance; the New Orleans Zoo is a 20 min. trolley car ride away.

On the other hand, it would be good to see Andy Williams again (if his voice is still good :-) and the Branson Airshow, and I'll bet there are Lake of the Ozarks dinner/booze cruises - or is Branson in a dry county?

Paul462
01-08-09, 02:19 PM
Avalon Best Western is close to Lakefront Airport (Flightline says they can shuttle us over) at $81/night+tax; taxi to the French Quarter is around $25 and 15 minutes.

Flightline says they get pilot discounted rates of $119+tax at Crowne Plaza and Iberville Suites (both off Bourbon Street; they'll probably charge more during Jazz Fest), will park us all together, and give us a fuel discount. Tie down is still $15/night.

hharney
01-08-09, 05:06 PM
Well that's a little more encouraging. Thanks Paul for digging in to that. New Orleans could still be a good choice knowing this. No idea how much of an upcharge there might be during the fest? Of couse the Jazz stuff is a distance away from Bourbon Street if I remember, it would require some kind of transportation to attend and event tickets.

Keep the comments coming to excercise your rights in all this planning :-)

WebMaster
01-08-09, 09:23 PM
I don't think we have to come up with transportation to the Jazz Fest. There is public transportation, or taxi cabs, that will take people to the Jazz Fest. Not everyone will want to go at the same time, or stay all day.

I think one of the attractions would be a side trip on Wednesday, to TCM in Mobile.

BTW, there is a map of the fairgrounds, with the various venues. It is a large place. http://www.nojazzfest.com/info/map.php

The current schedule is also posted, and it is simply amazing. http://www.nojazzfest.com/music/index.php

stackj
01-08-09, 11:02 PM
Last time I was in New Orleans, we used the streetcar for all transportation. Prices were very reasonable.

Haven't been there since Katrina... I guess the street cars are still operational.

hharney
03-09-09, 11:18 PM
The registration form is posted on the Skymaster Web Site.

http://www.337skymaster.com/SOAPAReg2009.doc

Please review the sign up page and join us for the 2009 SOAPA meeting in Branson, MO

River Cruise
http://www.bransonlandingcruises.com/lake-queen.cfm

Hotel Info
http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwest...ertyCode=26066

The Fly-in airport is PLK, Point Lookout, is just a few minutes away from the hotel. The Airshow on Sat and Sun is at the new airport, BBG, which will not be open for landing until after the airshow.

Beth
03-25-09, 05:28 PM
Please remember to keep those cards & letters coming!! Seriously- Start making your plans to attend the 2009 SOAPA Fly-In.

Send your registration form and checks to me at:

Beth Fiala
1500 E. Piney Rd.
Dickson TN 37055

Make check payable to SOAPA

Sounds like a good group of speakers, and the weather should be perfect in Branson that time of year.

Beth

hharney
04-05-09, 11:47 AM
All remaining rooms at the SOAPA meeting hotel will be released Monday April 6. If you have not secured a room for the SOAPA 2009 event you need to act now. There are rooms still available today but after Monday all rooms will be released to the public. Book your room now and if necessary you can cancel later.

With only 30 days until the kick-off in Branson the date is coming quickly. For more information click on the link below

http://www.337skymaster.com/

ipasgas1
04-06-09, 04:03 PM
I just made my reservation under the wire. I am looking forward to my first meeting. Is the meeting at the hotel? I will not get in until near noon on Thursday so I will miss the morning meetings but make the afternoon. I still need to print out my SOAPA registration form and mail it. We are getting a new rear engine put on so hopefully it will be done in plenty of time. See you in Branson.

hharney
04-07-09, 11:55 PM
Yes the meeting on Thursday is at the hotel. Thursday evening we will be on the Lake Queen paddle boat for a nice cruise on the lake. It will be really busy Thursday when you arrive, there is a US Pilots Association meeting taking place on Thursday afternoon at the airport PLK.
Hopefully you can find a parking spot with the rest of the Skymasters. If you need a car I would call Avis now and reserve something (they have Harley's too), talk to Jeff at 417-334-4945. I would suggest that you try to arrive as early as possible on Thursday. Can't wait to meet you, it will be a great gathering and weekend.

John Hoffman
04-08-09, 05:33 PM
Herb - thanks for the reminder re. reservations, made a room res. yesterday for arrival Tuesday 5/5 thru Sunday 5/10 - Ill be a bit early so if you need anything pre meeting just message me. Also took notice of your car rental hint and reserved today. Thanks again.

hharney
04-08-09, 06:40 PM
I just checked with the hotel in Branson and as of today there are still rooms available but they are NOT holding any rooms for SOAPA. If you haven't booked your room yet call now to secure a room.

417-334-6464 or 1-800-828-0404

All the room rates are still the same as listed on the home page link.

hharney
04-11-09, 08:34 PM
If you have already booked your hotel room for the SOAPA meeting in Branson please remember to send in your SOAPA form found on the home page

http://www.337skymaster.com/

There are some rooms left but are not guaranteed to be there if you don't call now.

The SOAPA registration fee cut-off date is April 20th

hharney
04-15-09, 10:30 PM
As of today there are still rooms available at the hotel in Branson. See the home page for details on the SOAPA fly-in

ipasgas1
04-19-09, 01:11 PM
Well, as luck would have it, our 337 is out of service. We have to get a new rear engine. It was at almost 1700hrs and the block was found to be cracked. As such, I have had to cancel my plans to attend SOAPA next month. I was really looking forward to flying down, now I guess I will be attempting to help with a new engine installation instead. I will get to one of these meetings, one day. Oh, if you call Best Western fairly quick, you can get my King bed that I just cancelled, they said I had the last one.

hharney
04-19-09, 01:41 PM
Sorry to hear that you won't make it. Did you check on flights into Springfield? It's only a 45 minute drive down to Branson. Might be cheaper than the fuel for the Skymaster, I hate it when that happens but you don't have to fly your own plane just come join in the festivities.

ipasgas1
04-19-09, 01:52 PM
I am hoping to be involved in replacing the engine so I can learn a little. Otherwise, I would still try to come down.

dwbomber
04-21-09, 06:24 AM
I hope you will take last minute entries. My mistress is undergoing a panel upgrade and annual. I think there is a 50/50 chance she will be ready by the 5th of may. JIM

Paul462
04-21-09, 08:13 AM
JIM,

Hope you can make it! There's a link to the registration form in the top paragraph of the SOAPA home page - just click on it, and the details are on the form. See you at Skymaster Happy Hour! :-)

dwbomber
04-21-09, 12:10 PM
Thanks Paul,
I think some of the guys might be interested in seeing my new panel. I installed Electronics International; Digital M.P & Tach, Digital Oil Temp/PSI, Digital Volts/Amp, and Aerospace Logic; Digital Fuel Level. I originally just wanted the M.P. & Tach, (once you get used to lining your engines up digitally, you will never go back to bouncing needles) and My IA talked me into the others. JIM

Paul462
04-21-09, 12:35 PM
Jim,

Friday afternoon during the Fly-In is "show & tell" time at the airpont - we'll look forward to seeing your bird then! You may also be interested is seeing some of the mods the other SOAPers have installed!

hharney
04-28-09, 10:56 PM
There are still 9 rooms left at the Best Western in Branson. This is the location of the 2009 SOAPA Event. Come join us, sign up now. We have a number of aircraft coming in and will be at the same airport as the US Pilots Association and the Missouri Pilots Association. They are all really excited about seeing the Skymasters arrive.

These rooms won't last long with all the events that weekend.

sgmret
05-06-09, 06:51 PM
Herb, it was a distinct pleasure meeting both you and Craig at the Taney County (Missouri) airport on Wednesday, May 6. If I were still flying I would surely be better acquainted with you folks but my flying is history as I told you. Mark, who was with me and Steve has quite a distinctive background, having served for more than 35 years in the US Army. In addition to having been a member of the Golden Knights Precision Parachute team he also served in the Special Forces and flew for Britt Airlines after retirement. I wish we could have seen more Skymasters but I think your's is probably the Best of Show in this case.

hharney
05-11-09, 06:25 PM
It was my pleasure to meet you. You and my dad would have hit it off good. Like dad you were flying these great machines in the hayday. Hope our paths cross again.