PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Compressor Impeller

jcthomas
08-20-02, 07:29 PM
I just completed an annual and flew my bird south. After the annual, I lost the boost in the front engine. discovered that the band that holds the compression impeller did not have a nut on the end and it was loose. also discovered that the hose going up to the engine hand two of the four bands loose.

Net result, the compression impeller turned a little off center and caused some very minor scrapes on the blades. Made for a nice day.

Question: Where can I get a new impeller or do I have to buy the whole works?

John

SkyKing
08-21-02, 05:44 PM
John,

Trying to sort out your difficulty... but first, we need to know what model and year 337.

Are you referring to the clamp that holds the compressor inlet duct onto the front of the turbocharger? It's a little unclear as to how that would cause the blades of the impeller to rub... or did the clamp somehow get sucked into the compressor blades? Small nicks can be deferred, but this determination would have to be made by an IA.

Not exactly sure what other 'band' you could be referring to, as there would be no reason to dissassemble the turbocharger for an annual, other than to inspect the compressor blades for nicks and rubbing, to make sure any axial play is within limits, and maybe the turbine section if there's coking or a further problem.

In any event, it sounds to me that you have a maintenance shop liability problem, although I'm not providing 'legal advice'. You should probably be on the phone with them PRONTO and arrange with them to correct their mistakes... including disgorgement of any fees or costs you incur elsewhere in correcting the problems they created by their negligence.

SkyKing