PDA

View Full Version : Going to Oshkosh????????

hharney
07-15-09, 07:41 PM
I will be arriving Saturday (Sunday as a back up) and staying the week. Are you going? Please post here for all 2009 OSH AirVenture plans. All SOAPA members should get together at least one day. For more information on the event go to:

http://www.airventure.org/

This years show will be fantastic fun and always adventuresome. Lots and lots of great things to see. It will all be there.

hharney
07-15-09, 09:35 PM
The Airbus 380 will make it's appearance. Check out the flight deck of this amazing huge aircraft. http://www.airbus.com/store/mm_repository/cockpit_airbusA380/flash/cockpit1.htm

The pilots that will be flying this heavy in, one is from Mason, MI. If you check out the latest copy of Sport Pilot there is a really cool article about the 380 comig to Airventure.

stackj
07-16-09, 11:36 PM
Jenny and I plan to be at Oshkosh July 27 (late arrival). We will be supporting the Coast Guard booth in Hangar A (I believe.) We will be there through the 30th (Thursday) and will leave for home on Friday morning.

Our cell phone numbers are:
Jenny (804) 337-0653
Jim (804) 647-2461

We'd love to see any other Skymaster folks!

hharney
07-16-09, 11:59 PM
Sounds good Jim
I too would love to hook up with you and Jenny

Mine is
616 401 3637

stackj
07-19-09, 07:38 PM
Thanks Herb - I hope we can hook up.

Are you taking the "Brand New Skymaster?"

hharney
07-21-09, 03:04 PM
It's the only one I have :-)

SteveG
07-22-09, 08:38 AM
I expect to fly in on Saturday and depart on Thursday. Hope we can cross paths somewhere during that period. You'all have safe trips and a fun time.

hharney
07-22-09, 11:28 AM
Steve
Give me a call when you arrive on Saturday and we can hook up

WebMaster
07-25-09, 09:10 PM
Herb is in Row 90, Vintage Aircraft camping, while Steve G is in Row 80
for those of you going over.

WebMaster
07-25-09, 09:19 PM
And here's a picture of his plane, and camp site.

WebMaster
07-27-09, 09:23 AM
Note from Herb

It's show time today
It has been really cool watching all the arrivals. Comanches yesterday. Spent a long time at the museum yesterday. After like 20 or more years of attending OSH I never took in the museum. It was awesome. Camping is an experience that I really glad I did. The weather has been perfect and looks to be forcast as good. Spent some time with Steve G. and Sandy yesterday. They are parked 10 rows ahead (north) of us. The arrived about 2 hours ahead of us Saturday. We saw a "wanna be" 02 land yesterday and they have the real thing on display over by the exhibits. Not sure what the story is but we will report back. Headed for warbirds this morning, wish you were all here. If you are planning to come in this week please e mail or call me.
616 401 3637

Herb R Harney [hharney@sbcglobal.net]

Herb R Harney

stackj
07-28-09, 11:13 PM
If you are referring to the O2 near the LSAs, a university is using it to test airfoils. They have mounted an airfoil vertically on the left hardpoint. They have mounted instrumentation in the old radio racks for the testing.

They also visited Don Neiser on the way out.

Herb - I will try to call you tomorrow

wfreestone
07-29-09, 12:53 PM
Herb.

As had previously informed you, I am flying in for the day on Thursday 30 JUL 2009, probably arriving at OSH around 10:30AM or so (since IFR reservation landing at FLD and shuttle busing in from there).
Will call you on your cell phone, since want to stop by and see your aircraft.

William Freestone
314-308-0371.

hharney
07-30-09, 11:19 PM
Great Day on Wednesday. Absolutely perfect weather. 70 degrees with a nice breeze and puffy clouds in the sky. Met Jim and Jenny Stack today at the Aviat Husky booth. We had a great time talking 337 and finally meeting. They will fly back on Friday.

The DC 3 from Riverview Airport 08C flew in this morning. They had about 10 guys with them and some rookies to Osh Airventure. What a great way to come, in a DC 3. Plenty of camping room under the wings. They parked in the south 40 near a couple Albatross'.

Good airshow on Wednesday. We sat with Steve and Sandy Gufstason (sp) and watch the show again. The jet powered glider flew and lots of other stuff. There was a Beech Bonanza doing a show too. Quite amazing actually.

We attended the Vintage Aircraft Association picnic and met a good bunch of people. After dinner we came back to the VAA area and watched Andrew fly the Pitcarin Autogyro. Wow now that was a treat. If you are an EAA member there is an article in the last issue. Talk about a restoration project.

It has been really neat to talk to all the people interested in Skymasters and some of them have never been on the web site or message board. I have invited them all to join and participate. Several are owners of Skymasters.

SteveG
07-31-09, 03:37 PM
A few downsized images of show highlights from the first three days.

hharney
08-01-09, 10:59 PM
Airventure 2009 is closing down quickly. Saturday was a morning wash with rain showers and then behind the front was gusting winds to 25. Still the show went on and it was great. One of the first times that I left the camera behind and just watched the show. Sean Tucker and the Calaberators are amazing. It's amazing enough to just watch Sean or Michael Goulian by them selves but when 4 aerobatic pros fly you can only imagine the show. The amazing part is that they fly together using 3 different types of aircraft. Sean's Oricle Challenger, 2 Extra 300's and an Edge 540. That takes some talent and lot's of practice.

Mark and I decided to bail out Friday night instead of Saturday morning as planned so just before the airshow finished on Friday we packed up camp and were ready to depart. I had a prop blade sign that was given to me when I registered 2JF for judging. All week I had been checking the sign to see if it had been initialed from the judges indicating that the airplane had been judged. Finally Friday morning they judged the plane and I had noticed the initials from the judges. Well, everything was packed and I went to remove the blade sign and I found a letter tucked inside the blade sign. The letter said that the airplane was an award winner and I was invited to attend the ceremony and reception on Saturday at 6 PM. We had just packed up everything, Mark needed to be home and I was not sure what I had won. We hurried to the Vintage Association HQ because I had filed an IFR FP and did not want to miss the departure before the airport closed. At the Vintage HQ the guy saw the letter and said that I didn't want to miss the ceremony. He wouldn't tell me what I had won but just that I would want to be there. Well long story short, I flew home Friday night and grabbed Tammy and we came back today for the ceremony. We were able to get a room at the Hilton and just parked right at the hotel. Well all the hard work that everyone put into 2JF paid off. Yes folks we got one nice prize:

Best Contemporary Custom Multi Engine Aircraft for Oshkosh 2009!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a great surprise. I am so glad I came back because the Vintage Aircraft Association was just great. Everyone was so excited that they were giving an award to a Skymaster. There was some pretty stiff competition. Results will be coming soon in Sport Aviation magazine.

Great pictures Steve, here are a couple more from my camera eye. Of course Tammy took the one of the Lindberg. :-)

WebMaster
08-01-09, 11:09 PM
I am so happy for you. This is a great, wonderful, award. Tammy takes a great picture, too.

Congratulatons, great job.

JeffAxel
08-02-09, 12:38 AM
Congratulations Herb!! Of course, I picked the other paint scheme when you took the poll.......

skymstr02
08-02-09, 07:14 AM
Congrats Herb! Kind of makes you feel good when all of your hard work pays off.

jordi
08-02-09, 07:48 AM
Congratulations Herb.

Well done from Barcelona!

Jordi

Paul462
08-02-09, 10:09 AM
Well done, Herb! You're a credit to SOAPA, as only befits our glorious leader! Remember to bring the trophy and award banner to the next fly-in so we can all bask in the reflected glory. :-)

Paul & Mary

Rafful
08-02-09, 02:16 PM
Congratulations Herb.

You take the prize, and we are all winners and feel proud.

sgmret
08-02-09, 06:36 PM
Herb, having seen your "new" Skymaster at the Branson airport when you were having the SOAPA convention I definitely agree with the judges. I also followed along on the SOAPA website when you were going through the renovation and give it (and you) a thumbs up!

Great job. As one of my early instructors always said, "Keep up the airspeed"!

Paul

Dale Campbell
08-03-09, 09:10 AM
Good job Herb, you well deserved that award, that is the best looking skymaster around. Dale

Ed Kalis
08-03-09, 11:23 AM
Now who says Skymasters can not be the greatest in the show!!! Good work Herb. Finished my annual Sunday the 2nd. ,New ani-collision lite from AveoMidAmerica on belly, rebuilt rear prop with another hub and blade and overhaul, spin-on oil filters each end, rebuilt bendex mags on rear, with new plugs and spark plug wires, new cessna rear spinner bulk head, and rebuilt right main fuel gauge. With labor 13K. All fueled up and now more hay to bale hay. Ed Kalis

hharney
08-03-09, 10:15 PM
Thanks everyone, you have all supported me and this site. Hey Ed, I will be in Mt Pleasant for the fly in on the 16th. I'll bring the Lindy for you to stroke :-)

stackj
08-04-09, 10:52 PM
Congrats Herb!. It was nice to meet you and see your aircraft at the show. Wow! I saw a winning aircraft! You earned it. Thanks for bolstering up a member of the fleet!

hharney
08-05-09, 08:43 PM
It was so great to meet you and Jenny. The short time we spent together seemed like we have been friends much longer. This whole thing took me by surprise but was great fun. See you guys soon at a gathering.

hharney
09-24-09, 11:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/user/roughsurface

Should be the one on top, Enjoy!

stackj
09-24-09, 09:24 PM
Nice Job, Herb!

hharney
11-01-09, 12:49 AM
Here the photo shoot from Oshkosh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jVRl3GjMrU