PDA

View Full Version : Griswold Aviation - Skymaster Specialty

hharney
03-17-10, 04:42 PM
During the recent annual on 2JF Owen Bell at Aviation Enterprises suggested that we remove the gear pump from the front engine and drive it with a drill motor to swing the gear. I got the drive adapter from Owen and it worked great. Better than using a mule system. Keeps the system sealed, no chance for air or foreign material contaminating the system. As you know it's always lot's of fun to raise the aircraft up to clear the mains and this time it just went really smooth. In the past I have used the hand E pump for the test but with mixed results. It is also very dangerous to be in the cabin pumping on the system with the aircraft up on the jacks.

Thanks to Jerry DeSantis for the use of his jacks and boom stands. All maintenance is by Craig Griswold with Griswold Aviation. Craig has been working on 4 different Skymasters here in Michigan. This is the first time for him using this technique and he agreed it is the best method so far that he has used.

Here is a quick video of the process. It is interesting to listen to the loads on the drill motor during the cycles. It is quite amazing how much load the system exerts when the cycle is at the end of the sequence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w67UYBa48Lg

skymstr02
03-17-10, 06:40 PM
Now that inovation!
Thanks for sharing that. I was wondering how you kept from buggering up the pump splines.

Dave

Tony
03-17-10, 09:16 PM
Great tip!! Thanks for posting your video.

cessnadriver
10-16-11, 01:25 PM
H.H.
Thanks for the video. I contacted Owens for adapter info. looks promising!!
BILLS