PDA

View Full Version : Cargo Pod

Pat Rolfes
09-17-02, 06:45 PM
I know this topic has been covered before, but now that I'm serious I can't find any of the old discussions on Cargo Pods (including UK sight).

Anyone have strong opinions one way or the other regarding pods.

Is RT Aero's pod better/worse than originals. (Can originals even be found?)

Any advice would be appreciated.

In case they are model specific I have 1976 337G.

Jose L. Ichaso
09-17-02, 11:17 PM
I installed an used cargo pod in my 337D normal aspirated,about a year and a half a go, after flying three years without it, and can tell now is a trully six seater plus some baggage. Actually I fly very often 4 adults and three kids plus baggage for a weekend out ,very confortable. Speed penalty is 2-4 knots; mine true´s (at max load or close )150-153 kts. at 8500´, 20" manifold, 2400 rpm at 21 gal/hour total at ISA+10°C.
I have seen RT´s cargo pods, and are composite made, so are lighter and the belly antennas can operate without relocating it outside.( I suggest to put then outside anyway)

Richard
09-18-02, 04:21 AM
I've only used the originals. Find them around in the community of skymaster flyers.

We just picked one up out of Oaklahoma for the new T model. Ran $1800.00. A bit less than the new ones ($4000+). I haven't noticed a real speed reduction, but I have noticed that you are sucked down into ground effect a little faster with the pod than without. Maybe just my perception though.

Burt Benson
09-19-02, 05:37 PM
Both RT Aero's and Owen Bell's pods are much better than the originals.

Burt Benson