Skymaster Forum

Skymaster Forum (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/index.php)
-   Messages (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   hurricane relief (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/showthread.php?t=1564)

travis 08-30-05 06:37 PM

hurricane relief

Just out of curiosity are there any Skymaster drivers out there who would be willing to donate there time and aircraft to the relief efforts in the South? I have spoken with AOPA and they are keeping tabs on interest in air support amongst there members. I for one would be willing to take time off work to organize a Skymaster support group. The intent of which would be to transport personnel and/or cargo and provide any close air support that may be needed. I believe that the Skymaster is ideally suited for this type of operation. My goal would be to provide accommodations for all aircraft and crew for the duration of there tour. I do not think that there will be an extended relief effort that will require light aircraft as the military and airlines will be able to commence operations in a relatively short period of time. Pilots and aircraft owners would not be responsible for the cost of fuel during the operation and I believe that any other costs incurred would be tax deductible. If you are interested please leave a post and email me at jayt90@hotmail.com

_travis

WebMaster 08-31-05 08:51 AM

It would seem to me, that since the airports in NO are under water, that the TFR for Miss and AL are as big as some New England states, that it would be difficult to actually help, unless you had a helicopter.

Jim Rainer 08-31-05 07:04 PM

Travis, there is an organization specifically set up for this type of catastrophe - HSEATS - Homeland Security Agency Special Air Transportation. I joined through Angel Flight. They were very active after 911 and several trips were made by pilots in my Angel Flight region - Angel Flight South Central. So far, the have not called us.

Louis Armstrong (MSY) Airport in New Orleans is open but only to cargo planes and military aircraft. NEW - Lakefront is still underwater I believe.

Thanks for your efforts. I surely hope some of us can get involved. I am only 2 hours from MSY so would be glad to help.

Jim Rainer

Jerry De Santis 08-31-05 07:47 PM

Airport open

One runway at Louis Armstrong New Orleans Intil airport was open today for Katrina relief flights only. All of it is not under water.

Jerry
N34EC

WebMaster 08-31-05 08:23 PM

Good news.

Operation Dunkirk

My not so original idea. In May, 1940, Allied forces were up against a wall, in Dunkirk. A flotilla of boats rescued them, and moved them to England.

If OSH can handle 10,000 operations a day, and MSY could handle 10,000 operations a day, then 5,000 familes could be evacuated from LA and MS, to safer places. Communities where they could stay for a month. Places where there is power, water. Airlines are inefficient at moving people to small towns. The military is overloaded.

GA aircraft, like the small boats at Dunkirk, could make a difference. Taking one family at a time to a safer place.

Jim Rainer 08-31-05 11:22 PM

Great idea, yours or not! Would really make a difference, but too simple for the US Gov. to approve.

WebMaster 09-01-05 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jim Rainer
Great idea, yours or not! Would really make a difference, but too simple for the US Gov. to approve.
Well, I always remember Dunkirk, as an example of people banding together. That was the inspiration for my idea. However, with DHS involved, it is far to simple for the US Govt to approve. Also, upon reflection, it would work for the vast majority of people in MS. However, the folks in New Orleans, by and large, are on the dole. That would present it's own problems, significant ones.

WebMaster 09-01-05 08:19 AM

IT IS UNDERWAY

I read on AVWEB, that a company is organizing an airlift, taking people to Kissimee, FL.
You can call 678-799-1628 for more information.
Their website is http://www.vacationrentalsforfamilies.com/

Jim Rainer 09-01-05 10:19 AM

If the DHS would let private pilots organize and coordinate with the National Guard at MSY, we could do wonders. Maybe it'll happen. AvFuel is going to be a problem in that area, though.

travis 09-02-05 06:53 PM

I believe this is a record numper of posts for the ammount of time on this forum. Thanks to all. I have been in contact with http://www.vacationrentalsforfamilies.com/ They are trying to arrange for funding for fuel. There are several other outfits that are making progress as well. For more info monitor the AOPA web site.

Thanks all

_travis

WebMaster 09-02-05 09:28 PM

Registering with http://www.vacationrentalsforfamilies.com/ is relatively easy. I hope lots of folks do.

Mark McConaughy 09-03-05 09:47 AM

Airports, restricted airspace?

Well if I were in a position to help I certainly would. However, some of the concerns expressed just aren’t problems. Remember the Berlin Airlift??

At about 100 to 150 miles, inland airports are available. The trick would be to tanker enough fuel in so you would not need to fuel at MSY. Restricted airspace would not be a problem as if you are part of an organized relief effort you would get clearance. (Sounds like a group from FL already has that underway.) The other possibility would be to move people from Huston and anywhere else where large numbers of evacuees are located to locations where smaller numbers need to be moved. FYI all HUD housing listed for sale by the Federal Government have been pulled off the market to be available for Victims of this disaster.

With my current medical situation, I am not able to help. Nevertheless, I am sure all who could volunteer would be appreciated.

This is one of the most (if not the most) serious natural disaster to strike the USA in this century. Oh and did I mention the flood that followed. This is what many people are not taking into consideration. This is a 2fer, and both of them literally of Biblical per portions. This is the time for GA to show its stuff and an excellent opportunity to help our neighbors in a real time of need.

And for you John Wayne fans, right about now is when the Duke would be tellin ya to "it's time to saddle up. So Get to it."

Keven 09-03-05 12:35 PM

I called and spoke with these folks because the registration part of their website was down. They said that they update their site as soon as they get info available, and when they do so, the updating process takes the applicable part of the site down.

It's easy enough to register, and they are gathering support to have fuel supplied by outside sources. Currently, they are looking for twin, 6 seat planes. Many of us will qualify.

If you have the time, it's a very good and necessary cause.

Blue Skies,

Keven
________
Wendie 99

WebMaster 09-03-05 01:37 PM

I registered last night. Their website was up.

Unfortunately, I think with the massive involvement of the FEDS, at this stage of the game I don't think they want a bunch of volunteers.

Keven 09-03-05 03:39 PM

Larry:

That was my thought also, but when I spoke with the organizers today in Atlanta, they said that they had been in contact with Homeland Security for departures from PDK starting today or tomorrow. They are in queue along with others. Go figure! Someone finally making good decisions? What's up with that?

I guess we can just keep checking their website for updates. It was last updated at 2:45 p.m. (eastern) this afternoon.

http://www.vacationrentalsforfamilies.com/

Keven
________
Only4Pleasure

WebMaster 09-03-05 05:15 PM

Looks like they are going, starting tomorrow, and one C337, Steve Malin , is going tomorrow

skymaster 09-04-05 09:41 AM

relief

just returned from baton rouge and alexandria the c130's and helicopters are using for staging into New Orleans. lots of helicopter and heavy military ships. honestly not sure what individual could do other than continue supporting the financial efforts. according to some helio pilots , some areas unaffected others decimated. J

Jerry De Santis 09-04-05 11:27 AM

Baton rouge

Although the suggestion for private aircraft to help out in Baton Rouge is a very noble endeavor, it is best left to the military until they make a call for that type help. There are many ways for us as individuals to help out. At this time perhaps cash donations to the Red Cross or others organizations. However, as usual, a crisis like what happened in Baton Rouge brings out the best and sorry to say, the worse in mankind. There was a piece in the Lansing newspaper the other day warning all, that donation scams are happening. So as we all do our own thing to help, make sure you know where your donation is going.

I am happy to say that Michigan is helping out by taking in 10,000 refugees. In Battle Creek (BTL) where I am based, we expect 5,000 starting today. They will be housed at Fort Custer for processing to near by communities. If ever State takes in some of those folks, as a nation we can lick the problem quickly.

If your State has not requested to help directly yet, write to your State Government and ask them to do so.

Regards
Jerry
N34EC

Keven 09-04-05 12:50 PM

Jerry:

I believe the primary focus of the organizers out of Atlanta is not so much of getting people out, but rather getting necessary medical folks and supplies from all over the southeast INTO the area. Atlanta is an easy place for these folks and supplies to gather, and then make it over to PDK to get onto these private aircraft.

They have already coordinated the medical folks to be at PDK for scheduled departures down to the affected areas. I suppose they are arranging folks to be on the private planes on the way out of there as well, but the focus is getting necessary people and supplies in.

Keven
________
Extreme Q Vaporizer

Mark McConaughy 09-04-05 04:10 PM

How will they know

Well all I can say they sure ain't gonna call if you don't let them know your out there ready willing and able. Yes, large groups of people are moving by the airlines and military. However, as they start to move people in smaller groups and the movement of high priority personnel and supplies and as housing becomes available for individual families, the need for small aircraft will become obvious. Even the military recognizes the need for small aircraft, there are many aircraft in the military inventory, (including at onetime our beloved skymaster) that move smaller numbers of folks all the time. Exactly how many C-12s (KingAirs) does the military have? Hundreds.

Yes, the donations are important but we have a valuable asset that can be used to benefit our fellow citizens. This is no game; the country needs all the help it can get. Someone referred to Dunkirk several days ago. Well that effort was almost entirely private citizens. It’s about 3:00PM CST as I’m writing this on Sunday 09/04. According to FOX News they are estimating in downtown New Orleans alone there are probably fifty (yes I said 50) thousand people that need to be evacuated, that’s not counting the outlying Parishes (or counties if you prefer). The military God Bless em are doing a fine job and frankly they make me proud, but they are going to be maxed out for a while, and like Kevin said, moving doctors and other emergency personnel one, two, or three at a time is right up our alley. Did I mention that some of the airports aren’t in the best shape to handle large aircraft? I seem to remember something about skymasters might be good for short fields, but who knows.

One other thing, in light of some of the boo boos by some in the GA community as of late it wouldn’t hurt for the public to see us helping people and doing some good with our “toys”.

WebMaster 09-05-05 08:29 AM

I read this last night, thought you folks might like to read this as well

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimNtexas
I flew into Baton Rouge last night with a load of food donated by a church here in Austin, and left as an Angel Flight carrying "excess baggage" to Dallas. This was the luggage of people Angel Flight had evacuated with more than could be carried in the oridginal flight.

KBTR was a busy, busy place. I never saw so many helicopters even when I was an ALO at Fort Hood. I never saw a C-17 parked at a civilian passenger terminal before.

Besides many civilian airplanes, every service was represented. There was a "plain white" Gulfstream with no n-number that had with a long antenna sticking out the back (Hey I was an EWO for 20 years, I notice these things). The department of homeland security had a Bae-146 there.

At one point a motorcade came onto the ramp, cops in front, cops in back, flashing lights, a limo, several black suburbans. I figured it was Dick Cheney. Turned out it was Payton Manning, the football player.

As someone here warned me, I had to wait a long time for 100LL. Next time I go I'll stop in east Texas or Western Lousiana and fuel. They are worried about running out of 100LL at KBTR.

The counter at the FBO was a zoo, but the pretty MILFs handled the tired and impatient pilots with grace and charm. They always had a smile. ETA: Phones don't work well in Baton Rouge. Both cell and landland phones get circuit busy most of the time. If you come in VFR, cancel in the air, and don't expect to be able to call out.

I met a lot of very capable and take-charge people there.

Returning to Austin at 2am with me were airliners from Alaska Airlines and United Airlines carrying evacuees. They were camly discussing with the tower the various medical emergencies they had on their hands.

On the airport were large bus convoys arrving to take our distressed neighbors to shelters.

The whole experience made me very proud to be even a tiny part of American's aviation community.

You can read more at

Keven 09-05-05 09:20 AM

Two Things

First:

The most recent info from http://www.vacationrentalsforfamilies.com/ is that they now are looking for twin 4 seaters. Now . . . everyone qualifies for these missions if they want to fly them. Specifically, the site states:

AS OF 8:30AM, MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 5
SIX PASSENGER TWIN/SINGLE AND 4 PASSENGER TWIN AIRCRAFT REGISTER IMMEDIATELY FOR FEEDER DISTRIBUTION MISSIONS, COMMENCING TODAY. INCREASE NEED FOR MID STATES AND EASTERN STATE CORRIDER TRANSFERS. REGISTER WITH N NUMBER IN COMMENT FIELD AND ACCURATE TWO HOUR TRAVEL DISTANCE RANGE. WHEN REGISTERING FOR TRANSFER SUPPORT MISSIONS AVAILABLE TODAY SO INDICATE IN COMMENT FIELD.

ATTENTION, ATTENTION: SEPTEMBER 5 MISSIONS ARE EXPECTED TO HAVE SUBSTANTIALLY GREATER PASSENGER VOLUMES, TRANSFER AND DISTRIBUTION MISSIONS WILL BE THE PRIMARY FOCUS OF MONDAY, SEPT 5 OPS. PLEASE MAINTAIN DILIGENT REVIEW OF WEB NOTICES POSTED HERE. FOLLOW DIRECTIONS WHEN PROVIDED.

FYI for anyone interested in pitching in.

Second: MILF? I like it. Hadn't seen it in print for awhile. Good work Larry!

Keven
________
MATCHBOX VAPORIZER

WebMaster 09-05-05 12:00 PM

Good Article in AVWEB today
http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archive...ll.html#190523

If you haven't called, why don't you??

WebMaster 09-09-05 09:23 PM

They need help with fuel costs. Pilots pay their own fuel, but donations are gratefully accepted. Donations help offset the cost of fuel.

http://www.vacationrentalsforfamilie...donations.html

Starting tomorrow they (Brothers Keepers) are going to operate out of Jackson, Mississippi.

WebMaster 09-12-05 06:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One of my new buddies said, you can fly that plane.

stackj 09-12-05 10:41 PM

Thank you, Larry!

WebMaster 09-12-05 10:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Luggage wasn't an issue, since I had my cargo pod on

WebMaster 09-13-05 06:06 AM

Saw Keven's plane at PDK, full feather on the rear engine.

The logistics are a nightmare. People can't leave the shelters, unless they have a place to go to, the plane is available, and they have a medical sign off that they are cleared to fly.

We left HDk, flew direct to HUM (across the NO TFR), Picked up these folks, who were all Dialisys patients in the area. Flew them to PDK, where they were staying with folks. Thoght we'd get a quick turn at PDK, but by the time we got loaded with cargo, it was late. Got the pilots discount at a local hotel.

Full load of cargo, and we're headed back this morning. Hope to do a quick turn, and head back to PDK. Hope.

Met lots of really great folks. All volunteers, who, like me, took time from their jobs to help these folks out. Fuel is not cheap. There are some discounts, but....

hharney 09-13-05 11:20 AM

Great report Larry, thank you is in order.

What is the comment about Keven's rear prop feathered? Did I miss something?

skymaster 09-14-05 08:55 AM

r44 rescue

spoke with r44 rescue chopper guy. he had call for three . went to pick them up and they had enough goods that a s-65 could not pick up. he stayed on ground with their possessions and sent chopper to drop off the overgrossed r44. while on the ground some hooligans tried to rob him. they shot at his knees. he said shoot me if you want this junk. they went away. J

Mark McConaughy 09-14-05 11:00 AM

You ain't gonna believe this one

A friend of mine forwarded this to me, if it's true there is a Navy Commander is serious need of a retirement party.

New York Times
September 7, 2005

Navy Pilots Who Rescued Victims Are Reprimanded

By David S. Cloud

PENSACOLA, Fla., Sept. 6 - Two Navy helicopter pilots and their crews returned from New Orleans on Aug. 30 expecting to be greeted as lifesavers after ferrying more than 100 hurricane victims to safety.

Instead, their superiors chided the pilots, Lt. David Shand and Lt. Matt Udkow, at a meeting the next morning for rescuing civilians when their assignment that day had been to deliver food and water to military installations along the Gulf Coast.

"I felt it was a great day because we resupplied the people we needed to and we rescued people, too," Lieutenant Udkow said. But the air operations commander at Pensacola Naval Air Station "reminded us that the logistical mission needed to be our area of focus."

The episode illustrates how the rescue effort in the days immediately after Hurricane Katrina had to compete with the military's other, more mundane logistical needs.

Only in recent days, after the federal response to the disaster has come to be seen as inadequate, have large numbers of troops and dozens of helicopters, trucks and other equipment been poured into to the effort. Early on, the military rescue operations were smaller, often depending on the initiative of individuals like Lieutenants Shand and Udkow.

The two lieutenants were each piloting a Navy H-3 helicopter - a type often used in rescue operations as well as transport and other missions - on that Tuesday afternoon, delivering emergency food, water and other supplies to Stennis Space Center, a federal facility near the Mississippi coast. The storm had cut off electricity and water to the center, and the two helicopters were supposed to drop their loads and return to Pensacola, their home base, said Cmdr. Michael Holdener, Pensacola's air operations chief.

"Their orders were to go and deliver water and parts and to come back," Commander Holdener said.

But as the two helicopters were heading back home, the crews picked up a radio transmission from the Coast Guard saying helicopters were needed near the University of New Orleans to help with rescue efforts, the two pilots said.

Out of range for direct radio communication with Pensacola, more than 100 miles to the east, the pilots said, they decided to respond and turned their helicopters around, diverting from their mission without getting permission from their home base. Within minutes, they were over New Orleans.

"We're not technically a search-and-rescue unit, but we're trained to do search and rescue," said Lieutenant Shand, a 17-year Navy veteran.

Flying over Biloxi and Gulfport and other areas of Mississippi, they could see rescue personnel on the ground, Lieutenant Udkow said, but he noticed that there were few rescue units around the flooded city of New Orleans, on the ground or in the air. "It was shocking," he said.

Seeing people on the roofs of houses waving to him, Lieutenant Udkow headed in their direction. Hovering over power lines, his crew dropped a basket to pick up two residents at a time. He took them to Lakefront Airport, where local emergency medical teams had established a makeshift medical center.

Meanwhile, Lieutenant Shand landed his helicopter on the roof of an apartment building, where more than a dozen people were marooned. Women and children were loaded first aboard the helicopter and ferried to the airport, he said.

Returning to pick up the rest, the crew learned that two blind residents had not been able to climb up through the attic to the roof and were still in the building. Two crew members entered the darkened building to find the men, and led them to the roof and into the helicopter, Lieutenant Shand said.

Recalling the rescues in an interview, he became so emotional that he had to stop and compose himself. At one point, he said, he executed a tricky landing at a highway overpass, where more than 35 people were marooned.

Lieutenant Udkow said that he saw few other rescue helicopters in New Orleans that day. The toughest part, he said, was seeing so many people imploring him to pick them up and having to leave some.

"I would be looking at a family of two on one roof and maybe a family of six on another roof, and I would have to make a decision who to rescue," he said. "It wasn't easy."

While refueling at a Coast Guard landing pad in early evening, Lieutenant Udkow said, he called Pensacola and received permission to continue rescues that evening. According to the pilots and other military officials, they rescued 110 people.

The next morning, though, the two crews were called to a meeting with Commander Holdener, who said he told them that while helping civilians was laudable, the lengthy rescue effort was an unacceptable diversion from their main mission of delivering supplies. With only two helicopters available at Pensacola to deliver supplies, the base did not have enough to allow pilots to go on prolonged search and rescue operations.

"We all want to be the guys who rescue people," Commander Holdener said. "But they were told we have other missions we have to do right now and that is not the priority."

The order to halt civilian relief efforts angered some helicopter crews. Lieutenant Udkow, who associates say was especially vocal about voicing his disagreement to superiors, was taken out of the squadron's flying rotation temporarily and assigned to oversee a temporary kennel established at Pensacola to hold pets of service members evacuated from the hurricane-damaged areas, two members of the unit said. Lieutenant Udkow denied that he had complained and said he did not view the kennel assignment as punishment.

Dozens of military aircraft are now conducting search and rescue missions over the affected areas. But privately some members of the Pensacola unit say the base's two available transport helicopters should have been allowed to do more to help civilian victims in the days after the storm hit, when large numbers of military helicopters had not reached the affected areas.

In protest, some members of the unit have stopped wearing a search and rescue patch on their sleeves that reads, "So Others May Live."

WebMaster 09-14-05 08:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
rewards

Mark McConaughy 09-14-05 09:06 PM

rewards

It's a tough job Larry but someone has to do it. Sorry to see you having to suffer like that.

hharney 09-16-05 09:50 AM

I assume this is a right seat companion?
Better be careful what you post :)

WebMaster 09-17-05 06:16 PM

The story.
www.skymaster.info/hurricane.html

WebMaster 09-18-05 09:56 AM

I added a lot of material. Both Don and Sheila gave me some input last night, as well as really great pictures.

Thanks

Mark McConaughy 09-18-05 10:13 AM

Your Trip

Larry,

My hats off to ya brother, ya done good.

Later

Mark

WebMaster 09-18-05 10:32 AM

I'm telling ya Mark, when I picked up those folks at Houma, and then saw how well they were treated at PDK, it brings tears.

WebMaster 09-26-05 02:23 PM

For those of you who flew, OBK is filing for 501 (c)(3) status, and you may be able to claim your expenses.

Also, for those of you who came from Tampa, here's a little story you might find interesting
http://www.abcactionnews.com/stories...14flight.shtml

The new website is
http://www.operationbrotherskeeper.org/index.html

WebMaster 10-06-05 08:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I learned that Plane and Pilot is going to do an article on Operation Brothers Keeper, http://www.operationbrotherskeeper.org and they have a picture they are going to use. This one.