Skymaster Forum

Skymaster Forum (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/index.php)
-   Messages (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Garmin...... (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/showthread.php?t=1263)

Guy Paris 11-16-04 09:55 PM

Garmin......

Hey guy's, What should I expect to pay for a GNS 530,

GI 106A CDI, GAE 43 Encoder and a GTX330 Xponder installed

and ready to go? Guy, the old 72 driver....

WebMaster 11-17-04 12:16 PM

A couple of people here have talked about installing the 530, Guy, and I'm sure they will jump in here. However the thing I noted was the wide disparity in installed price, and the considerable difference in time it took to get the paperwork back from the FSDO.

Mark Hislop 11-17-04 10:31 PM

Guy:

Last December, I put in a 530 and GTX330. I also had the old transponder, one radio, and the ADF removed. The total cost, including labor, was $15,000.

Mark

Guy Paris 11-18-04 09:59 AM

Thanks Mark,

Being quoted at 20 and 21K range, however I do need a
GI 106A CDI priced out at $1595.00 since I do not have a HSI. guy....

rick bell 11-19-04 07:57 PM

three years ago put in a complete ups stack with dual vor/com, trans. mx20
audio, and gps all coupled - 23k out the door

hharney 11-20-04 04:04 PM

http://www.337skymaster.org/messages...ghlight=Garmin

Guy Paris 11-20-04 07:05 PM

Garmin...

Thanks, guy...

rick bell 11-20-04 08:13 PM

one thiing you may wish to consider is the maintenance factor. garmin is like narco, ne repair shops. you need to send to back to the factory with long delays and mim. billing (think it is 600) my slim line com stopped working call garmin said 600 and we will let you know if it s more plus 30 days. said screw it and had my avonics shop open it up, it was a 15 cent fuse. recalled garmin is see if the would sell the fuse, they refused and wouldn't give us a sorce. they also said the waarnty is voided, i said what warranty for a 600 retun fee. if i know that ups was going to sell to garmin i would have opted for king, they have repair shops around the world.
garmine was'nt smart enough to develop the technolgy and were being left behind so they bought ups out for a wad. now greed has set in and are using the customer base to pay through the nose for there own shortcomings. they have taken the narco approach of ripping of thier base, as norco found out they are barely a player in the market and garmine will be headed in the same direction.

Rickskymaster 11-21-04 12:32 PM

Garmin

I can only give you my experiences with Garmin.
I orginally put in a 530 with the 330 transponder.
Without a doubt, this is a greatest combination of avionics that I have owned in having 4 airplanes over the last 24 years.
I then put in the GDL 49, and this unit was the worst in terms of usefullness and realibility. I went to OSH and AOPA and spoke with Garmin about by displeasure. They said if I was not completely happy, they would refund the complete cost of the unit, installation and pay for removing the unit. To say this was beyound them being reasonable is not saying enough. They have been terrific.
I have last week, removed the old audio panel, KMA-24 and replaced it with the Garmin 340. the Garmin offers many more capibilities and user usefullness than the king.
I have not had issues as to repair on any of my units, but my units are pure Garmin, not the old UPS that Garmin purchased.
As for opening the case and going in yourself, this to me is like not filing IFR and going into the soup and asking ATC to bail you out.
By the way, if anyone wants to sell their Garmin and go to King, please call me asap. Either myself or all of my friends would be please to take your stuff off your hands.

Rickskymaster

Guy Paris 11-22-04 08:12 AM

KI 204...W/Garmin...

I am being told by one shop that I can use my KI 204 CDI with the 530. Any thoughts. guy...