Skymaster Forum

Skymaster Forum (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/index.php)
-   Messages (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Mechanical Rear Cowl. Anyone have? How is it? (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/showthread.php?t=4550)

Jhogan0101 09-22-19 02:13 PM

Mechanical Rear Cowl. Anyone have? How is it?

Looking to purchase the aviation enterprises mech cowl kit w STC. Does anyone have any experience with these? Good/bad idea?

patrolpilot 09-23-19 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jhogan0101 (Post 23958)
Looking to purchase the aviation enterprises mech cowl kit w STC. Does anyone have any experience with these? Good/bad idea?

It seems like a good idea to me. Did you have a motor fail?

I'm considering a couple of STCs during my next annual; that would be the time to do it. It would minimize the downtime of the failed flap motor, and the fuselage is open, reducing the maintenance hours.

With this STC, it seems like if you wait until motor failure, the cost is a roll of the dice as the listed price is for a rebuildable unit. I wish they listed the price without the exchange motors. My consideration has been the actual cost of the STC with working cowl flap motors; what could you sell them for vs. cost of the STC without the core exchange.

I was going to call them to order the Fire Detection Mirrors, mid-week, and will ask about the cost of the Cowl Flap STC without the motor exchange.

Jhogan0101 09-23-19 02:17 PM

No, the previous owner had a “rigged up” setup using a 172 flap motor. It stopped working on my way back from purchasing the plane. Had my a&p look at it. He removed the whole thing because there was no STC or field approval sign off and he couldn't/wouldn’t figure out how to fix it. So either put back oem system or mech cowl kit.

patrolpilot 09-23-19 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jhogan0101 (Post 23965)
No, the previous owner had a “rigged up” setup using a 172 flap motor. It stopped working on my way back from purchasing the plane. Had my a&p look at it. He removed the whole thing because there was no STC or field approval sign off and he couldn't/wouldn’t figure out how to fix it. So either put back oem system or mech cowl kit.

I'm going to bet that the OEM motors are cheaper.

I see were Aviation Enterprises has serviceable units for sale. Without the core, it would be $1600 for the rear. The core value is $500; so the mechanical replacement would be $2000.

Jhogan0101 09-23-19 05:33 PM

The stc kit is $2995. Not sure how much would be for all of the parts im missing. Its the whole rear assembly

patrolpilot 09-23-19 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jhogan0101 (Post 23967)
The stc kit is $2995. Not sure how much would be for all of the parts im missing. Its the whole rear assembly

I edited my post while you are posting.

Aviation Enterprise lists the rear mechanical kit at $1495, the core is listed as $500 on their parts page. I wonder why the $2995?

Jhogan0101 09-23-19 05:53 PM

Owen emailed me and said the 1495 price was a mistake and will talk to his web guy.

Red Air Rambo 09-27-19 09:30 PM

I have the mechanical, the previous owner installed it after the 3rd electrical unit replacement. I've had no problems with it, just an in-out t-handle with grooves on top that lock in whatever position you want. It mounts under the dash right below the electric switches with a placard that inops the old switch.

Brent