Skymaster Forum

Skymaster Forum (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/index.php)
-   Messages (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   704 Is Back In Service (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/showthread.php?t=5355)

patrolpilot 04-01-23 06:45 AM

704 Is Back In Service

4 Attachment(s)
704 was released from the avionics shop yesterday; it had been in five and a half months. I wanted a lot of work accomplished, and it was all done to my satisfaction at Camtronics at TPF (Aransas Pass, TX).

Home at VCT, Victoria, TX

Attachment 2901

Attachment 2902

Attachment 2903

One thing I wanted to be done was remove everything behind the panel. I'm happy with the dual 430Ws; Garmin has refurbished both within the last three years. I wanted the rat's nest of wires gone. So, everything came out, and bundles were built; no individual wires are running anywhere. The bundles are free of the airframe structure; you don't have to cut a wire to remove a bundle. I also wanted all the Cessna wiring wrung out. I found the Avionics Installation Manual for the airplane; all the wires were identified by PN (yeah, Cessna put a PN on every wire), examined, tested, and, if needed, replaced and re-identified by "PN+R." The wiring no longer used was removed and documented.

I kept the vacuum system and ADI, even though removing them with the Evolution Pro Max dual PFD and single MFD is possible. Autopilot Central has maintained my 400A autopilot, which flies the airplane beautifully. Being down to no viable A/P options, I'm good with it. Sure, there is no altitude preselect, and it is better to "heading" fly an intercept to a course, but once there, it is steady as a rock.

In that everything came out, the shop wanted the three approaches flown as if the Garmins were going in the panel for the first time. The WX has been crap here on the TX central coast. The 400A flew three LPV approaches to minimums with winds 50° off runway heading at 26G33K with LLWS. The old box nailed every approach, and the approach corrections were smoother than they would have been, with the previous Sandel 3308 providing the signal info.

A new circuit breaker panel was installed; I bought one from the FB fellow in UA. All the breakers are the pullable type. The Aspen's require independent master switches, so all the avionics masters switches are now over-center switches rather than the large rocker switch Cessna used. I haven't taken a picture of the panel yet.

The placards on the panel pictures are paper, but I have several color options for placards on hand and wanted to apply them myself. So I am going to do that today. The shop chip my EL panel, just the black overlay; I told them not to worry about it, as I can fill and refinish that.

I'm not sure what happens from here. I'm a pro pilot flying a jet and helicopter, but that has changed. I was offered an opportunity that provides me with personal use of a new TBM 960; all expenses covered, up to 75 hours a year. 704's sole role was to provide transportation to our grandkids spread across the country. I'd rather travel in the TBM, which was delivered two days ago. I'm headed to school on it.

Attachment 2904

Learjetter 04-01-23 08:29 AM

Absolutely magnificent!

Rick Erwin 04-02-23 01:43 AM

Very nice! That’s a clean looking panel, and I know you’ll enjoy the TBM.

Rick

mshac 04-02-23 11:57 AM

I'm green with envy... of the TBM! :D Still a VERY nice Skymaster.

Have you compared direct operating costs between the two birds? I'd be curious to know.

patrolpilot 04-18-23 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mshac (Post 29235)
I'm green with envy... of the TBM! :D Still a VERY nice Skymaster.

Have you compared direct operating costs between the two birds? I'd be curious to know.

Sorry mshac, been gone for two weeks solid; TBM factory orientation, SimCom ground and sim training, then SimCom flight training. I now have 36+ hours of TBM9 time; what a machine!

Regarding comparing expenses, none for me; all my personal flying is covered. TBM uses 45 ~ 70 GPH per hour, depending on the performance profiles... 280K ~ 320K; FL240 ~ FL310.

patrolpilot 04-26-23 04:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yesterday...

Attachment 2916

edasmus 04-26-23 05:21 PM

P-r-e-t-t-y !!!

mshac 04-27-23 04:57 PM

Looking good! :cool:

TomM 04-27-23 10:40 PM

RSM location

Great panel! I was thinking about the Aspen E5, but the local avionics shop never worked on a skymaster before and didnt know the best place to put the RSM. Where did they put it on your plane?

Thanks!!

n86121 04-29-23 08:59 AM

TBM uses 45 ~ 70 GPH per hour, depending on the performance profiles... 280K ~ 320K;

Call that what?
300 knots on 60 gph?

Around 5 mpg

Not significantly much more fuel than a 337!

Its not GPH but MPG that counts.

Oh yes, and overhaul, maintenance and insurance.

A C172 only uses 10 gph to go what, 105 knots?
So maybe 10 mpg.

--
I have a friend who prattles on about Mooney fuel efficiency.

I have told him, "It is not polite to discuss fuel efficiency in the presence of twin owners..."

patrolpilot 04-29-23 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomM (Post 29329)
Great panel! I was thinking about the Aspen E5, but the local avionics shop never worked on a skymaster before and didnt know the best place to put the RSM. Where did they put it on your plane?

Thanks!!

On top of the cabin, back my the rear engine intake. I will get a picture for you.

patrolpilot 04-29-23 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n86121 (Post 29331)
Call that what?
300 knots on 60 gph?

Around 5 mpg

Not significantly much more fuel than a 337!

Its not GPH but MPG that counts.

Oh yes, and overhaul, maintenance and insurance.

A C172 only uses 10 gph to go what, 105 knots?
So maybe 10 mpg.

--
I have a friend who prattles on about Mooney fuel efficiency.

I have told him, "It is not polite to discuss fuel efficiency in the presence of twin owners..."

The TBM 960 uses a gallon a minute once it starts producing flight power. Altitude drives speed.

patrolpilot 05-01-23 02:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TomM (Post 29329)

Thanks!!

Here you go!

Attachment 2918

TomM 05-01-23 10:52 PM

Thank you!

GearUp 05-02-23 08:49 AM

I know you guys are talking non-pressurized here, so this is just for completeness.

For the pressurized birds, I'm told the roof of the cabin would require a DER approval for any additional holes in the pressure vessel. I don't think that's a big deal but does add some expense (and time?) to the install.

A guy that used to work at Aspen told me they like to put them towards the rear of a boom so they can run wires thru existing holes and just redo the sealant-- thus avoiding any changes requiring DER approval. I've never actually seen one done this way, but then this was a recent conversation and I've never looked.