Skymaster Forum

Skymaster Forum (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/index.php)
-   Messages (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Need Rear Prop (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/showthread.php?t=1213)

FRED-E 09-08-04 08:01 AM

Need Rear Prop

I am looking for a rear prop for my 337B. A screw came out of the wing root fairing and hit my rear prop. I am taking it to THE PROP SHOP next week for them to look at but I am sure I will have to replace it. Bad timeing, I was about to get my freind checked out in it so he could get signed off so we could make some longer trips.
If anyone would like to see the prop I would be glad to take pictures and post them.
Fred N358 :) :) :)

WebMaster 09-08-04 08:08 AM

Don't dispair Fred. My rear prop was hit, has a dent in it, as was pronounced fine by the people who overhauled it.

FRED-E 09-08-04 10:27 PM

Prop

Larry:
I don't understand, did your prop come apart after the prop people said it was ok ?
Fred N358

WebMaster 09-09-04 08:52 AM

Uh,
It got a ding, from something falling off the airplane, and in fact it is a physically visible depression on the front/back of the rear prop, and it was within tolerances of the ding allowance (don't ask me what that means), and they took it apart, inspected it, and put it back together. Happened in 1999, before I bought the plane.

Guy Paris 09-09-04 10:44 AM

Prop blade...

Fred-E,
I replaced one front blade several years back with a new one. At O/H a crack was found in the shank. At that time I could not find a used blade that would work, one with some serviceable life. Think it was in the 2K plus range. guy, the old 72 driver....

FRED-E 09-09-04 12:21 PM

Prop

Guy:
I am told by THE PROP SHOP the cost of a NEW blade is in the 4K range. So I will keep looking for a while.
Thanks
Fred N358 :( :( :( :(

Ernie Martin 09-09-04 06:22 PM

Hey, Fred, sorry to hear about your blade. I assume you tried Don Niesser. Did you also try Preferred Airparts (800-433-0814, www.preferredairparts.com)? They claim to have a large stock of blades. Also, call all prop shops advertising in Trade-a-Plane and see on the Trade-a-Plane classifieds (at the end of the Cessna classifieds under "Cessna Miscellaneous") if anyone is parting-out a Skymaster.

Regards,
Ernie

FRED-E 09-16-04 09:16 PM

Prop

Good News
Jef at THE PROP SHOP checked it and said it was ok to repair !!
I dished it out, smothed it out, filled the hole (for looks) and repainted it. Putting it back on tomorrow.
Thanks for the help
Fred N358 :D :D :D :D

WebMaster 09-20-04 07:56 AM

Great news Fred.

FRED-E 09-21-04 08:05 AM

Prop Strike

It is flying again!!!!!
I tightened EVERY screw forward of the rear porp and will do that every few months from now on. Getting my shop partner checked out in it so we can make some of these Fly-Ins.
Fred N358

FRED-E 09-29-04 08:16 PM

BAD NEWS

Well I spoke to soon !!!!!
After I flew the plane I noticed oil comming from one of the blades. I talked to jeff at The Prop Shop, he told me to turn the prop until the plug in the hub was on top, then pull the plug, then turn the prop until oil came out and hope like hell it was RED, alas it was not, it was motor oil. That means there may be a crack in the blade threads, bad news !!!!!
I took the prop off again, and I will take it to The Prop Shop next week and tear it down.
BTW if you have prop type D2AF34C59 or D2AF34C61 it would be a good idea to have your A&P pull your plugs next annual and check the color of the oil. This may apply the any RED DIE OIL filled hub.

Fred N358 :( :rolleyes: :( :rolleyes:

J.T.Grant 10-01-04 12:45 PM

Dear Sir,
I have a spare rear prop removed from my 336 because it was not the correct prop for the 1963 year model.It has less than 200 hrs since overhaul in july 2001.Please call and I will have gotten the Model numbers etc from the prop shop by then.
My Cell 205-799-1716
Yours James T. Grant

FRED-E 10-02-04 07:04 PM

Rear prop

J.T. The model # should be stamped on the hub. I took my prop to the shop and disassembled it. I will test it next week for cracks.
I will get back to you if I need a Prop.
Thanks for the input
Fred N358

FRED-E 10-21-04 12:10 AM

Rear Prop

Well that was a real eye-opener, the hub & both nuts that hold the blades on were cracked. Replaced all bad parts & installed an overhaul kit. Put it back on the plane today. Doing a dynamic balance on it now. Hope to be back in the air tommrow !!!!
Fred N358 :D :D :D