Skymaster Forum

Skymaster Forum (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/index.php)
-   Messages (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   battery (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/showthread.php?t=882)

amichelin 11-15-03 12:51 AM

battery

I need a new Battery. the stock one seems weak and small. Any sugestion?
thanks
Adam

Ernie Martin 11-15-03 11:08 AM

I buy the standard Gill unit, which is carried by a host of suppliers. It comes with the acid in a bottle, and the process of adding the acid and charging the battery is easy and well documented, but you need a 24v charger (Sears sells them). So you can do it yourself. Compare prices at Chief, Aircraft Spruce and Dresser Tire (yes, they sell batteries and often undercut the regular suppliers). Every three months make sure you add distilled water to the recommended point, and you ought to get up to 3 years of life.

Ernie

Frank Benvin 11-16-03 12:25 PM

Our old 67 model had one 24 volt battery. The 67 we have now has two twelve volts hooked up 24 volt.I perfer the two 12's you get way better cranking power to the rear engine You only nead a twelve volt charger. Remember to disconnect and charge seperately

Frank

Richard 11-17-03 03:30 AM

I'm interested. Where did you mount the two batteries? What model of 12's did you use? Love the idea though.

Richard

Frank Benvin 11-17-03 11:33 AM

I will take a look and let you know next time I go out to the airport.

Frank

Damon Banks 11-18-03 05:45 PM

Adam,

No wonder the battery seems weak and small. I was amazed to find out that the same battery sees service on the C152 through to the C337!!

Mind you, I see it is also listed for the PA-31 Navajo too!

Damon

FRED-E 11-18-03 06:07 PM

Battery

Not so. The C172 is 12 volts not 24 volts. My battery is 3 years old and it still works fine. Mine is a Gill but some people prefer Concorde, I think my next one will be a Concorde.
Fred

Damon Banks 11-19-03 01:54 AM

Both my C172s are 24 volt!

I think about 1978 was the change to 24 volt in the 172.

I've replaced the batteries several times...and they're the same battery!!

Damon

FRED-E 11-19-03 10:03 AM

Battery

Sorry about that ! I am so old I can only think old. I still have a 1967 ford F150 I bought new.
Fred

Damon Banks 11-22-03 08:57 PM

LOL

rick bell 11-22-03 10:13 PM

batteries last 3 to 5 years depending on the care. if they do not there is a problem and you need to find it. overcharging will show up by excessive water consumption, something not turning off (look for a minor arching when replacing the fial terminal). i had a solar charging plug in and it kept boiling off the water. ther is a reason just keep looking. the make does not make any difference!

rick

hharney 11-29-03 10:08 AM

GREAT ARTICLE AND REWIEW OF AIRCRAFT BATTERIES IN THE CURRENT AVIATION CONSUMER. AGM TECHNOLOGY IS THE BEST CHOICE. AGM (ABSORBED GLASS MAT) COMES FROM SOME TIME BACK BUT HAS NOT BEEN USED MUCH IN GA. IT WAS DISIGNED FOR THE MILITARY AND LOOKS TO BE A GOOD CHOICE. SOME REFER TO IT AS A "SEALED LEAD-ACID" BATTERY (STRAVED ELETROLYTE) OR A RECOMBINANT-GAS (RG) BATTERY. THEY HAVE HIGHER CAPACITY AND BETTER TEMPURATURE RANGE.

CHECK OUT ALL THE STUFF IN DECEMBERS AVIATION CONSUMER