Skymaster Forum

Skymaster Forum (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/index.php)
-   Messages (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   battery box worn out (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/showthread.php?t=4593)

wslade2 12-07-19 11:20 PM

battery box worn out

My original battery box has been fiberglass repaired multiple times. Is warped, cracked, shabby, leaky. Looking for a replacement or alternative. Any ideas besides continuing to fiberglass up the 50 yr old disintegrating plastic box? I am seeing these Bogert stainless battery boxes for 182's etc. Sure would be nice. A good sealing box with a tight vent would be nice to control local corrosion which is trying to involve the firewall.

hharney 12-09-19 03:22 PM

https://www.ebay.com/i/123851551930?...4aAm5dEALw_wcB

Aviation Enterprises had PMA'd boxes that were pretty nice. I don't see them on their website but you might call them direct

http://www.cessnaskymaster.com/

cessnadriver 12-09-19 07:21 PM

battery box worn out

WSLADE.
I have a battery box, in good condition, but no top. For sale $100. If needed/interested contact me at bstory@pa.rr.com.
Regards, Bill Story

hharney 12-10-19 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cessnadriver (Post 24189)
WSLADE.
I have a battery box, in good condition, but no top. For sale $100. If needed/interested contact me at bstory@pa.rr.com.
Regards, Bill Story

Used to be able to just buy the lid from Aviation Enterprises so maybe this offer would be of help

cessnadriver 12-11-19 09:20 AM

battery box worn out

Herb. Thanks for that insight. I know when I bought the battery box I thought the lid came with it-NOT! So that is why I have an extra. ALSO I'D LIKE TO PAT MYSELF ON THE BACK and let the SOAPA family know you have a newly minted Skymaster RATED pilot-me. Yep finally passed my checkride the past weekend!
Regards, BILLS

wslade2 12-13-19 05:36 AM

Been busy for a couple days. Appreciate the responses. Called Bogert and they DO make a very good looking battery box. No STC though. Will have to get field approval. Someone is already flying around with a field approved model. I will be talking to my IA. They will send pictures if interested and seem ready to assist with the process.

hharney 12-13-19 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wslade2 (Post 24195)
Been busy for a couple days. Appreciate the responses. Called Bogert and they DO make a very good looking battery box. No STC though. Will have to get field approval. Someone is already flying around with a field approved model. I will be talking to my IA. They will send pictures if interested and seem ready to assist with the process.

Bogart? nope need to call Aviation Enterprises. Please read above messages

Trippster 12-16-19 05:17 PM

I have the Bogart box

I have the Bogart box. Installed it back in March and got the field approval via my IA. We love it!! He used our old fiberglass box as a template. It was still good we just wanted to upgrade the box and all the battery cables. I've got pics I can try to send later if you want.

Trippster 12-16-19 06:12 PM

Battery box pic

1 Attachment(s)
I hope this works. Not sure how to add pics

wslade2 12-19-19 12:12 AM

Picture looks great. I have contacted Aviation Enterprises to compare. They confirm they still make a fiberglass battery box and lid replacement. Waiting on their response for pictures and price.

Still cleaning up some corrosion issues so a good sealing box that vents overboard most desirable.

Learjetter 09-03-20 10:57 PM

Sep 2020 update

I contacted Aviation Enterprises about composite battery box. Was quoted this:

’75-80 model Skymasters
Base = 1550247-1 ($1,225.24 Cessna old price- now is discontinued)
Our price for new composite $895.00
Lid = 1550247-3 Our price for new composite: $395.00

Bogart Aviation site has their Cessna boxes starting around $1100. Didn’t see one listed for the Skymaster.

mshac 09-03-20 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Learjetter (Post 25387)
I contacted Aviation Enterprises about composite battery box. Was quoted this:

’75-80 model Skymasters
Base = 1550247-1 ($1,225.24 Cessna old price- now is discontinued)
Our price for new composite $895.00
Lid = 1550247-3 Our price for new composite: $395.00

OUCH:eek: Those are some painful prices!

Trippster 09-04-20 10:34 AM

Bogart has boxes

Bogart has a box for the Skymaster. It may not be listed, but they have it. We were the prototype and love our Bogart battery box.

YankeeClipper 06-18-21 03:57 PM

FWIW, my IA believes you can go boxless, with just a tray, if you use one of the newer sealed batteries.

wslade2 10-11-21 08:26 PM

4 Attachment(s)
resurrecting this thread.

My 50 yr old battery box finally disintegrated into shards of plastic.

I reviewed with IA about going battery box-less with sealed battery. His concern, battery explosions can still happen with those. Best to have at least some attempt at containment of the battery. We discussed
"owner produced part". But lazy me I gave it one last effort to find an already built replacement. So I went on the hunt again for battery box. I finally found one at a reasonable price, brand new.

Premier Aero Services (web address: premieraerostore.com) phone 1-866-865-1262 makes the battery box. Again, reasonably priced.

I am an E model 337 so this should apply to E and before. (I think battery box changed style with later models-don't quote me on that.)

I have attached pictures. Nice to have a brand new one that fits without the hassle of trying to make something not designed work.