Skymaster Forum

Skymaster Forum (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/index.php)
-   Messages (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   SkyMaster Wing Mods (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/showthread.php?t=2670)

N5ZX 04-05-10 12:45 PM

SkyMaster Wing Mods

Just a quick check to see how many of us have wing mods.

I have :
20gal Extended Tip-Tanks.
Rocket Winglets
Stall Fence
Flap-Gap seals

What do yall have?

Cole

Roger 04-05-10 01:54 PM

None of the above.

MIcro VG's and standard (long range) 150 gals.

hharney 04-05-10 02:18 PM

Flint Tip Tanks

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Cessn...zed/1673232/L/

stackj 04-05-10 10:20 PM

Ouch!

It is unusual to see the mains fail and the nose gear hold up.

hharney 04-05-10 10:42 PM

Dad's first Skymaster, 1967, on landing both mains failed. The down locks did not secure for some reason, don't remember the details.

edasmus 04-05-10 11:08 PM

No mods here. Plane is as was in 1973 when it left the Cessna factory.

Ed

CO_Skymaster 04-06-10 11:02 PM

I have an OWL STOL kit.
The kit includes a leading edge and wingtips.

I'm currently investigating replacing it with a Horton STOL kit, but they are unsure if the Horton STOL will cover up the rivit holes created when the OWL STOL kit was installed. I'm still waiting for the answer.

Karl

CO_Skymaster 04-10-10 01:12 AM

Just an update incase anyone might have a similar situation. A Horton Kit will not fit on the same foot print as an OWL STOL kit. I would have to get a new leading edge or wing skin replaced and that's not worth it in my opinion.

Karl

sloutitt 04-10-10 09:36 PM

AE tanks and had AE tips

We have 20 gal tanks, (aviation Ent) and had winglets (AE) but after reading some of Coles posts and reviewing the SB we removed the winglets. Just did not want the stacked mods. Owen Bell supplied the stock style replacment tips and they fit perfect. We conducted the SB and found no bending, smoking rivits or distortions.
Sandy Loutitt
PS cole I did send you a Private message though I do not know if you recieved it.

hharney 04-23-10 10:59 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Horton Stol Wing Kit and Aviation Enterprises Lightning Winglets. Is that considered a stacked mod? Guess so. When installing the winglets I first tried to use a sheet metal screw between the original screws but did not like the results. I installed rivnuts on all fasteners and it just is much better mounting process.

tropical 04-24-10 09:59 AM

In my opinion the "winglets" give the airplane a goofy look. And there is no aerodynamic advantage to have them.

Alfonso 04-24-10 10:45 PM

Original C336 And Fuel Questions

It has the original 46 gallons main fuel tanks and the 20 gallons auxiliary, for a total of 128 gallons, no reserve. I was planning to install the AE 20 gallons wing-tip tanks, but it is on hold until the NTSB clears those tanks from the C337 crash in NJ. I am considering instead internal aluminum tanks. Any suggestions?

FUEL QUESTION: Does any one has any experience in not getting fuel to the engines when low in fuel (7 gallons remaining on each main tank) and on level flight with flaps extended (low nose)? I understand some main tanks have front and rear tank-pipes to drain the fuel into the fuel selector, and others only have one pipe in the rear of the tank. Any suggestions or explanations are appreciated. Thanks.

Are there any further news from the NTSB or FAA on the C337 crash in NJ?

Alfonso.

skymstr02 04-25-10 08:14 AM

The main tanks all have fwd and aft outlets on all of the 337's. Both feed a small header tank in the lower boom, aft of the lift strut attach point. That is where the sump drain valve is located.
The aux tanks have a 18 gal capacity, not 20 gal, and all is usable.
If you are having problems with fuel feed, check your vents to assure that they are free and clear.

Alfonso 04-25-10 09:00 AM

Original C336 And Fuel Questions - conitinued...

After 3 hours of flight, I used the auxiliary tanks for 30 minutes, which I estimated it used 5 gallons per auxiliary and transferred about 7 gallons surplus fuel to each of the main tanks, leaving about 7 gallons on each auxiliary tank. Is there any procedure or requirement that states that when the auxiliary tanks are used, they have to be used all the way until they are emptied? I landed with a total of 26 gallons of fuel, but I do not like hearing the engine sputtering due to lack of fuel even though there was sufficient. The C336 generally flies with the nose always high about 2 to 3 degrees up, compared with the C337. So when the flaps are extended the wing flies flat relative to the earth, and the fuel in the main tanks spreads to the whole flat tank-wing rather than depositing in the rear of the tank when the nose is up, and where the fuel pick-up pipe is located to send the fuel to the fuel control valve. I remember reading about several years ago of a Skymaster, I do not remember if it was a C336 or a C337, that crashed short of the airport due to fuel starvation even though they apparently have plenty of fuel. Any comments, suggestions, articles, etc would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Alfonso 04-25-10 09:13 AM

Thank You Skymstr02

You are correct, the auxiliary tan has a capacity of 18 gallons, all usable. I was thinking in the 20 gallos tip tank. Thanks again. Any other ideas are welcome. Alfonso.