Skymaster Forum

Skymaster Forum (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/index.php)
-   Messages (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Fuel Selector Valve (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/showthread.php?t=4954)

GAdams 04-18-21 11:08 AM

Fuel Selector Valve

My left wing fuel selector valve is leaking. It functions normally. What options do we have? Can we reseal? Overhaul? Who and where can we get repairs on the valves done? A new valve, if they have them, is $3,750. I'm not doing that. This is a 1969 337D S/N 1094 the PN of the valve is 1426029-4 I believe the new part number is likely 1H12-3.

TomM 04-18-21 07:38 PM

Give McFarlane a call. When I spoke with them last summer, they were working on the rebuild parts with the intention to rebuild them in house. Sounded like he was close last year.

Jhogan0101 04-19-21 05:05 PM

I called mcfarlane today. They have 25 kits but not one for the 337.

Skymaster337B 04-20-21 02:04 AM

All the parts are available for overhaul except the cork gasket. That’s where it leaks from. Make your own cork gasket and problem solved.

wslade2 04-20-21 11:45 PM

where are parts for overhaul available from? McFarlane?

making a cork gasket easy enough.

I have a valve that won't provide positive shut off.

Frank Benvin 04-21-21 10:18 AM

There is one on ebay

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/293875731254...YAAOSwaDRfyqPF

wslade2 04-22-21 04:49 AM

Saw that and appreciate that.

But for sustainability I am interested in a source of parts for these valves.

mshac 04-22-21 04:10 PM

Yes, it would great if a company name or a link could be provided to where these selector valve overhaul parts are available. Just stating that they are available is not particularly helpful. :(

And I saw the one on Ebay awhile back, but it looks so corroded I decided not to mention it.

Skymaster337B 04-23-21 03:26 PM

I was able to purchase check-balls and springs from iwantcessnaparts.com. The gasket is another story. Although if you search this website for “fuel selector” a lot of good discussions. Plus, one guy posted info about a supplier for the cork gaskets.

GAdams 04-29-21 09:41 PM

Follow up on Fuel Selector and Dukes pump

I took my fuel selector to Quality Aircraft Accessories in Ft Lauderdale. They sent both the fuel selector and the duke pump to their Tulsa facility. The Tulsa facility sent the fuel selector to another shop and I got a call from QAA Tulsa that says the other shop can't touch it. So far I'm stuck...no parts. The pump overhaul is $1,250. No fuel selector diagrams so no-one will open the fuel selector to inspect or repair. Thoughts?

TomM 04-29-21 10:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the selector diagram for the older skymasters, not sure which one you have.

For Skymaster337B what part numbers did you use when ordering the ball and spring? The attached diagram does not have any parts numbers.

Thanks!

wslade2 04-30-21 12:53 AM

It appears the only option is to do self repair if needed as no one is overhauling or repairing these valves.

Jhogan0101 04-30-21 10:03 AM

I emailed Mcfarlane about this , here is their response from this morning:

Hi Julian
We are going as fast as we can on fuel valves.
In fact we were talking about the 337 valves just yesterday.
I know they’ve done some work on those but I’m not sure just where they are in the process.
I did forward your e-mail to the owner of the company,(he has a 337) and the others who decide what gets priority in the way of projects.
Additionally I will make a push for it.

As you know, fuel valves are critical in function and even though they appear simple; are complex in determining fits, dimensions and tolerances. That in part is some of the reason it takes a fair bit of time to design parts for fuel valves.
Thanks for checking with us, hopefully it won’t be too much longer.

Fred McClenahan
Senior Engineer
Responsible Safety Officer

wslade2 05-03-21 11:21 AM

I called McFarlane after the last post. The operator reported they are keeping a spreadsheet of requests. She said my request was logged. I suspect the more requests, the more interest they have, the more likely they will jump into this valve thing for 337’s. But again confirmed they’re not doing anything for 337 valves at this time.

Wouldn’t hurt to have more requests logged from other owners...

Like anything, they’re a business and spend money on things for which there is demand. I added my two cents for demand.

GAdams 05-03-21 08:20 PM

QAA Response

I heard from QAA about my valves. They cannot work on them and could not find a shop that will work on them. They tried McFarland too, To be continued.