Skymaster Forum

Skymaster Forum (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/index.php)
-   Messages (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   No longer looking; bought 73 P337G (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/showthread.php?t=899)

GJ Humphrey 12-05-03 11:11 PM

No longer looking; bought 73 P337H

Kindly disregard my earlier message about searching for a P337.

I've just bought N3CU, a '73 P337H with American intercoolers.

I'm going to RTC in Champaign, IL for initial training to satisfy AIG, the insurance carrier, then taking dual from a Instructor/Designee who's flown the ship a good deal.

I've been away from aviation for a long time, and my ATR is very rusty. So I'm going to take things slow and easy until I get very comfortable in the ship.

Looking forward to meeting members of SOAP at events!

Any advice from experienced 337 pilots on things to watch out for in the first twenty hours of flying? Systems? Proceedures? Whatever. Alll advice humbly welcome.

GJ Humphrey 12-05-03 11:16 PM

Correction: P337G

Correcting the error in my previous message, N3CU is a '73 P337G.

Guy Paris 12-06-03 08:49 AM

GJ, Where are you located..

Hey GJ, where are you located? I am over here at ASH (Nashua). I have had my normally aspirated bird for a while. I know nothing about the P's but had a lot of exposure with the airframe.
Guy, the old 72 driver....

Ernie Martin 12-06-03 11:29 AM

Here's what to watch out for, coming from someone who's owned two Skymasters, had a blown nose tire and went off the runway in the first 20 hours, had an engine failure climbing through 1000 feet, and had an indicated engine failure on take-off at 50 feet and had to put it down again: NOTHING. Really, nothing special. It's a very forgiving, easy-to-handle bird. Obviously, it still demands the normal attention you would give any high-performance twin aircraft with retractable gear. Follow the checklists and learn the fuel system (see www.SkymasterUS.com for more info).

Ernie

FRED-E 12-07-03 09:14 AM

Things to watch for

Make sure the GEAR HORN works. Place a GUMPS sign on the dash and look at it before landing.
Fred N358

Don Hickman 12-07-03 07:42 PM

Congratulations on joining our ranks! If your experience is anything like mine, you will love your '73P. I've only had my '74P for two years and wouldn't trade it for anything.

As for things to look for, I agree with the others -- nothing in particular. But I do suggest that you always lead with the rear engine on takeoff just to be sure it's running. That's in the POH.

You will enjoy RTC. I've been there twice now and will go again next spring. They do a nice job and really understand the Skymaster.

Looking forward to meeting you at our next get-together.

SkyKing 12-25-03 12:06 AM

...You mean a "T337G"

Congrats on the N3CU buy... a while back we saw some pics of it with new paint and, I think, a new UPS stack in it... was that the one?

Anyway, all of the "P" models from about 1973 through late 1977 were ALL "T337G" models. Since yours is a 1973 model it is within the Serial Number range of P337-0001 through 0148, and definitely a "T337G".

The "H" models began in 1978, and more accurately, the first "P337H" model came along with Serial Number P337-0293 and the "H" models extended through the end of production with the last one produced, S/N P337-0356.

The foregoing is somewhat important, as when looking up data such as the FAA's TCDS info... without the proper 'model', no info!

Happy trails in your new bird!

SkyKing

kevin 12-25-03 01:17 PM

Cessna was amazingly inconsistent about this. My '73 P337 (serial number P337-0085) had a model number of T337GP in the original logbook and equipment list from Cessna.

Kevin