Skymaster Forum

Skymaster Forum (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/index.php)
-   Messages (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Sun and Fun (http://www.337skymaster.com/messages/showthread.php?t=2620)

djarrett 02-02-10 05:28 PM

Sun and Fun

What is happening? Were starting to plan our trip to the sun and florida and maybe the bahamas for some fishing and or maybe NASCAR racing or some baseball. I will not stay for the entire week so I would like to know when most folks want to arrive and leave. Will we have any organized meetings, or dinners or whats happening.
See you at Lakeland

Dave and Yvonne Jarrett

hharney 02-13-10 02:33 PM

Spring Break coming up

4 Attachment(s)
Here is the info on the SOAPA fly-in.

SOAPA 2010 is joining the excitement with Sun N' Fun in Lakeland, Florida. The premier aviation event for springtime fun for pilots. You don't want to miss this opportunity. How many times have you said to yourself, "I would really like to attend Sun N' Fun?" Well, now is your chance, with the Cessna Skymaster group to meet you there. It will be the one fly-in this year you will not want to miss. Sun N' Fun has become the event to attend with more than 450 educational forums, seminars and "hands-on" workshops; plus more than 500 commercial exhibitors who offer aviation products and services including all the major aircraft manufacturers; daily air show plus additional night air show on Friday, April 16; more than 5,000 aircraft of every size and shape.

SOAPA will kick off (Monday April 12) in Daytona Beach with a reception accompanied by locals Paul Rooy and Mary Lightfine. Everyone will arrive at the New Smyrna Beach Airport (EVB) just south of Daytona (DAB) on Monday April 12. After the arrival the party begins at 6 PM local, featuring sunset drinks, seafood dinner, island music, and "How To Fly To Sun 'N Fun". This will be the start of the 2010 SOAPA fly-in. Enjoy the time to talk with passionate fellow Skymaster owners and pilots, enjoy the warm ocean breeze that only Florida's coast can provide. We will plan to discuss the arrival into Lakeland before dinner, so be prepared to copy notes for this exciting opportunity to fly as a group. All information on the arrival procedure to Sun N' Fun is available on the SNF website http://www.sun-n-fun.org It is highly recommended that you visit the website to download and print the pilot arrival procedures information. This will be very important to have as a reference as the group attends the briefing before dinner. After all the briefing information is presented its time to PARTY!

Tuesday morning will start at the New Smyrna Beach Airport (EVB) at 8 AM local with a recap briefing on the arrival at Sun N' Fun airport in Lakeland (LAL). Please be at the EVB airport no later than 7:55 AM. We will depart New Smyrna Beach and make our way to Sun N' Fun as a group flight. When we arrive Lakeland airport we will land and park together in the camping area parking. For those that are camping at their aircraft you will be ready to set up. That evening will be a Skymaster Happy Hour at the Sun 'N Fun Sunset Grill at 6 PM.

Wednesday will begin with a field trip to the seaplane fly-in lake. Then Wednesday evening will be a Cook-out at the Skymaster Tents Camping area or a pavillion (to be confirmed) and the business meeting.

We would hope that all can stay for some more Sun N' Fun through the rest of the week. There will be plenty of aircraft to see, airshows in the afternoon, evening get together, exhibit halls to explore and sun to bask in. Come for the entire week.

The registration form is now available. Please complete and send in by March 31. This only confirms that you will be attending and does not reserve any accommodations in Daytona Beach or Sun N' Fun. Please visit the Sun N' Fun website for information http://www.sun-n-fun.org or call 863-644-2431 for details.

Link to - 2010 NOTAM for ARRIVAL / DEPARTURE PROCEDURES:

http://www.sun-n-fun.org/getdoc/601f...2010Notam.aspx

We will be parking in the Overnight Aircraft Camping area (ONC) at Sun 'N Fun. If you plan to camp at your aircraft there is a $25 per night fee for camping. If you plan to just park and have other arrangements for overnight, you will still be parking in the ONC area but will not be charged for parking or camping. Sun 'N Fun has set this up for SOAPA so that we can all park together and allow those that want to camp do so in this area. This should work out really good. We can have our dinner event at the aircraft parking area. When you go the Sun 'N Fun website to register you CAN NOT pre-buy camping space in the ONC area. Just register and buy your daily passes for the show and once we park at Sun 'N Fun in the ONC area those that want to camp will register on-site.

travis 02-18-10 01:01 PM

All,

My wife and I will be at Sun n Fun this year with my skymaster. As part of our usual plans we will be working for Aero Adventures out at the Splash In. I will be giving demonstration rides in an Aventura II. I would like to invite all of you to go for a demo ride. I will check and see if I can get SOPA members a discount. The owner of the company flew FAC in the O2 so he has a bit of a sweet spot for the type. Hope to see you there.

_travis

hharney 02-18-10 02:16 PM

Sounds really fun Travis, we plan to venture over to the splash in area on Wednesday. What are your suggestions for a group to visit? What should we plan for? How practical is it for all us to take a demo ride? Do you want to park your Skymaster with us in the camping area?

travis 02-18-10 04:37 PM

The Splash In is a rather chaotic event. I really don't know what to expect atthis years event. It is a much smaller show and the lakefront is rather confined so there should be no problem seeing the whole show in a fewhours. I generally take a lunch break during the bomb droping contest. So Generally early afternoon is when the events are up and running. I don't know what the schedule holds for this year.
As for the number of demos I can do... I'm not gonna make any promises there. My single day record is 158 water landings. That's about 65 demos give or take. The purpos of he demo flight is to sell airplanes. But there are allways lots of people who just want a ride! So just come on by and sign up for a ride and well see what can be done.

As for camping... I don't know. I would like to park
the plane there but there are logistical issues I have not yet addressed!

Is there a camping parking fee?

hharney 02-18-10 09:38 PM

Sun N' Fun Camping Fees

SUN 'n FUN CAMPGROUND
The SUN ’n FUN Convention Campground is open from March 10 through April 18, 2010. Camper Registration was relocated in 2008 west of the General Auto Parking (across Medulla Road)

CAMPGROUND PACKAGE Option #1
(members only) $260*
Package includes two weekly convention registrations and one weekly campground permit for April 12th - 18th only. Early arrivals - refer to fee schedule below:

CAMPGROUND PACKAGE Option #2
(members only) $100*
Does not include required convention registration:

Pre Fly-In Camp 3/10 - 4/4 $20 per night *
Registration Open 4/5 - 4/11 $25 per night + $100 *
Convention Rate 4/12 - 4/15 $100 weekly rate *
April 16 or later $25 per night *

Overnight RV and aircraft camping are available only in designated areas with limited facilities for $25 per night. (not available for online purchase)

Overnight RV Camping is located just east Camper Registration building.

hharney 02-18-10 09:48 PM

2010 Notam - Arrival/departure Procedure

If you plan to fly into LAL, Lakeland Linder Airport at Sun 'N Fun here is the 2010 Notam

PLEASE DOWNLOAD THIS DOCUMENT FOR INFORMATION TO FLY INTO SUN 'N FUN

http://www.sun-n-fun.org/getdoc/601f...2010Notam.aspx

hharney 02-21-10 10:25 AM

SOAPA reserved parking at SUN 'N FUN

Once at Sun 'N Fun we will all park together in the ONC (overnight camping) area. Those that camp at the airplane will have to register ($25 per night) and those that just park will not be charged. This way all SOAPA member can park together in the same area.

See the second post in this thread above for more information and attachments.

Roger 02-24-10 11:01 PM

I am a bit confused by the VFR arrival to Mun n Fun. The notam states that we can basically choose our altitude (100 kts 1200MSL) or (150kts at 1700msl) so that's pure choice. But then it goes on to say that if it gets backed up, all twins regardless of speed are to hold at 2200Msl over Lake Parker, and or 3000 Msl over Lake Hancock.

The notam describes how if you are instructed to hold, you are to essentially "follow the leader". But that's not going to work because if one of us is following at 1200msl, or 1700msl we will be required to climb to 2200msl or 3000msl depending on where we are held. I can't imagine that they want us to climb in the hold. So what's the dealeo ? We arrive at 3000, then step down when we don't get held, to then be bounced back up to 3000 a minute later if a delay develops ? Maybe it's too late in the day, but this doesn't look quite right.

??

hharney 03-12-10 07:37 AM

Roger
I don't think it will be an issue. Might be some grey here but we will plan to hang with the 120 speeders.

Will you be joining us?

IS ANYONE ELSE GOING TO SUN 'N FUN??????????????????

PLEASE POST HERE IF YOU PLAN TO JOIN US. I NEED TO GIVE SUN 'N FUN A HEAD COUNT.

HERB
PAUL AND MARY
DAVE AND YVONNE

stackj 03-12-10 10:10 PM

Not absolutely sure yet, but it appears that Jenny and I will be there on behalf of the Coast Guard Auxiliary.

hharney 03-12-10 11:23 PM

Are you joining the mass arrival?

stackj 03-13-10 06:10 AM

No... And worse than that, I will probably be arriving in either a 310 or a 340... one of those silly side-by-side twins.

hharney 03-22-10 04:48 PM

SOAPA Meeting

We have received a total of 2 registrations for SOAPA Fly-in. I need to give the folks at Sun 'N Fun a head count for our Tuesday arrival.

IS ANYONE ELSE PLANNING TO ATTEND?

IS ANYONE PLANNING TO MEET AT LAKELAND ON ANOTHER DAY OTHER THAN TUESDAY?

DO YOU WANT TO PARK WITH THE SKYMASTER'S?

WHAT DAY WILL YOU BE ARRIVING?

Thanks

Todd Gessel 03-22-10 07:46 PM

Hey Herb,

I have delayed in responding because I'm not sure yet, but things are looking good so far. Chances are that I will be there. I plan to arrive at EVB on Monday and fly over with the group. I plan to stay 3 or 4 days.

Todd Gessel N53687 1977 337G Normal, Sweet & Not Modified, Not an Oshkosh Winner (yet)