View Single Post
Unread 08-02-06, 08:12 PM

SteveG is an unknown quantity at this point
I went the "homemade" route. It was several years ago but as I recall it required about 3-400 dollars in parts plus a weekend for assembly. It does not need to be terribly sophisticated. The major pieces are a oil reservoir, oil filter, motor and hydraulic pump with coupling, pressure regulator and gage, hoses and couplings along with assorted pipe fittings and valves. The service manual provides a general design concept. The only element that is not obvious is that the mule will provide an unlimited amount of oil up to the reservoir capacity that quickly fills the aircraft system and then is pumped overboard requiring that tubing be run from the aircraft overflow back to the mule reservoir otherwise you can very quickly pump a few quarts of oil on to the shop floor. Also, the hose fittings need to be obtained from Aeroquip or similar because they use a different flair angle than standard hydraulic fittings. I built the whole thing into a metal service cart for mobility. Consider that the aircraft connections are made 6' off the floor when up on jacks so plan hose lengths accordingly.