View Single Post
Unread 05-17-07, 06:18 AM
N456TL

Dave Underwood is on a distinguished road
Well done for making it home in one piece. Based on my limited experience and the gear extend speed range, there should not be any problems there.

A couple of thoughts follow as my aircraft had a similar event, which ended up with a gear up landing. The good new is the gear up is generally rather uneventful. The gear doors take the brunt of the damage when closed and you can feather the front engine.

Did you cycle the master and alternator switches during the event? That resets everything and is suggested in the manual.

In the amplified emergency procedures for my 1977 FT337GP, it suggests by doing so, you recycle the door control value to the gear extension position and that allows extension. That may or may not have helped, but would be worth reviewing in your POH.

Some thoughts and suggestions:

1) The gear system requires a thorough review.
2) The gear set-up and geometry should be checked per the manual.
3) Hose position is also important as otherwise you might find the down locks pressurising and closing before the leg has tripped it. As a note, on our models, as I recall the description, the down locks are not supposed to close and pressurise until the gear leg has gone to the full down position and started to move the down lock.
4) You will want to confirm the operation and correct position of all the micro switches. I have had one switch that was affected by air loads that prevented retraction at one point.
5) You should do a gear swing and my suggestion is to simulate air loads. Operating properly, you will be pushed out of the way on extension.
6) I would also suggest you replace all the seals in the power pack. I don’t believe mine had ever been done and some were at the end of their life. On the power pack, one of the areas to consider is the solenoids can get gummed up and can cause problems. The work on the power pack is not that big a deal.

In my case the actuator seals appeared to have failed internally and leaked fluid so the right leg extended part way but would not over come the air loads for full extension.

My two cents worth.

Regards - Dave