Thread: Simply AMAZING
View Single Post
Unread 07-28-07, 10:55 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
The Best At Oshkosh

Aspen Avionics has to be the best equipment I saw at Oshkosh. I think Larry will agree that these guys have got a winner. This unit is very well thought out. It is totally a build on, step by step, glass cockpit. The PDF is first. Remove your AI and the DG and replace it with a 7" x 3.5" panel that gives you a true PDF. You have to leave the Airspeed, Turn and Bank, Altimeter, and VSI as back up to be legal. The next step is the MFD which is exactly the same unit with different function. It mounts right next to the PDF. Then the last step is another MFD that has back up Primary instruments. Whalaa, you now have total glass. What's cool is the interface, it does have to have a cerified GPS to drive it for IFR operations. It also couples to the ARC 400 A/P. In approach mode all the info is on the ADI for less searching. It automatically calculates TAS and graphically shows wind direction and speed. Shows the active waypoint info from the GPS, you can get the slaved HSI version (sweet), has altitude alert and all for less than an analog HSI would cost.

The basic first step is $6K! That's it. Start out with the HSI and it's up to $10K. Glass panel PFD with HSI for $10K. Pinch me I must be dreaming. After you have the first step then when you are ready go get step two and do what ever you want for your MDF. The unit has a SD card reader for creating each unit what you want to have. Terrain, traffic, weather, situational awareness. Unreal.

Other than sitting in the left seat of the Epic LT turbine this was the highlight of the Airventure trip. Check out the website for Aspen Avionics above on GKEY message.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years