View Single Post
Unread 12-09-07, 04:20 PM

N6030X is an unknown quantity at this point
AnywhereMap

I've flown with Garmin 196, AirGator NavAir, and now with AnywhereMap WX. That's the best one I've seen so far. Here's what you've gotta remember:

1. This entire technology is only a few years old. Control Vision is a small company with limited resources and has pulled off an incredible coup to be competing head-to-head with Garmin's resources.

2. We're not quite at the point yet where you can do like you would in your car and just hop in for a 1000 mile trip without any planning. Any planning you do for a cross country should use all available resources to verify special airspace, weather, NOTAMs, fuel stops, etc. To rely on the little device in the cockpit trying to retrieve data from a an XM Radio satellite is still a little iffy. It's pretty reliable, but not reliable enough for FAA certification, so don't put yourself in the situation of having no alternatives.

Having said that, I flew 200 hours VFR in 9 months and flew in weather that would have grounded me just a few years ago. This class of devices is completely revolutionary, and any temporary glitches should be considered growing pains.

BTW, my personal evaluation is that the AnywhereMap "touchscreen" style of system is easier to use in smooth air, where the Garmin "cursor" style navigation is easier to use in turbulence.