View Single Post
Unread 08-10-08, 06:53 PM

gkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Aviation-deprived Depression

I should know, as this is in my line of work, but I have never in all my years come accross a condition called "Aviation-deprived Depression". But I should patent the idea, or at least coin the phrase.

On March 16 '08 (you'll soon see why this date is important) I dropped off GKEY for her annual. That was my first 1.5 hours for 2008. All went fine, and I replaced a new battery and a few other things as I always do with annuals to keep the plane "new". I picked her up a few days later and flew her home. My second 1.5 hours for the year. Total thus now at 3 hours in GKEY for 2008.

So far, so good. The next day the hangar owner where I rent called me and reported a red stain by the left main gear on his (new!!) floor. Great. I found out that when the brakes where changed, they forgot to place the brakelines back into their clips, and the left one got pinched during cycling of the gear. GKEY had to go back for repair (at their cost). My mechanic flew it up there. Me? Still no flying.

Then I could not get my work schedule (or anyone else's) configured to go fetch GKEY for over a month. So still no flying. Then, one day, the shop called me to report a "little mishap". They towed GKEY with a big-@ss tug, and turned a little too tight and the landing fork cracked right there by the axle. It will take ahwile to get a new one in, but they will fix it (at their cost).

Still no flying. (Are you getting a little anoyed too by now?)

Then the new fork was installed and painted to match, a month later. Good job, I must say. But then they noticed the camber was out grossly on both tires (2 year old $$$ Michelin's) and suggested rightly so that we correct the camber and replace the tires too. So we ordered Goodyear Flight Custom II with Michelin inner tubes. Yahoo!! More $$$, still no flying. By this time I am convinced that I am developing Irratible Bowel Syndrome.

They then by the mercy of God found someone who can ferry GKEY back home - Great! On his way over here the alternator lights went on (both) and the overvolt light went on. The volt meter read 34 volts. Not so great. He turned around to the shop, because something has obviously happened. Turns out the front alternator seized to work. We have to get a new alternator. It took almost 6 weeks for the new alternator to make it up here from Texas. They installed it, and tested the system - it works wonderful.

But they can only get another ferry pilot in 4 weeks. And still my schedule does not allow me to go get it, and apparently I have too few friends...

And here we are, in August 2008, with only 3 hours flying time on GKEY for this year. And in the meantime I am writing cheques like I have to improve on my calliographic skills and algebra, the house is starting to close down on me, Windows FlightSim has developed an epileptic condition as soon as I load up my 337 add-on, the dog remains just outside my kicking range and God has decided that on my off days (exactly when the shop is closed, mind you) the skies will be blue so that I can look up and lust at the yonder.

Not fair at all. Now you tell me this is not Aviation-deprived Depression.