View Single Post
Unread 03-27-09, 11:33 PM

rhurt is on a distinguished road
I made a ceiling mistake.

Gentlemen,

Thank you for answering my certified ceiling question. It was a real issue for me last October when I wanted to cross an area of rain associated with a front and tops were up to 20k. I suppose I can get the entire 21 page article at the library.

I think your insurance money would be wasted above 20k and Leighton Collins would be right in chiding you for cutting the margin too thin - unless you were already wearing oxygen.

Honey Bunny is out at a scrapbooking party tonight, so I am able to get my T337G POH out of the closet and up by the computer without making her feel like I am ignoring her to spend time with my mistress.

I mis-quoted the book last night. The handbook says the pod reduces the Single Engine Service Ceiling by 1,500' and in a separate section lists the single engine service ceiling for varying OAT and weight. For example, SE service ceiling at 4600 lb and 0C is 16,700'. Any place in the table where the single engine service ceiling would be higher than 20k is marked with an asterisk denoting "altitudes that exceed the maximum operating altitude".

The pod could offer a dilemma for mountain flying if you wanted a Skymaster so you could maintain minimum IFR enroute altitudes on one engine, but the 1,500' penalty from the pod put you below them or even into the peaks.

Randy Hurt