View Single Post
Unread 03-29-09, 08:51 AM
Ace of the Atmosphere

skymstr02 is an unknown quantity at this point
I had a Westach EGT in my AT-6G, and had numerous problems with the gauge and the probe. I never could count on it. This unit is not TSO'd.

The ALCOR unit is much more accurate and trouble free. This unit is TSO'd. This is also the original equipment provider for Cessna in the 60's and 70's.

You will probably spend as much to keep the Westach unit working over the life of the airplane, as you will spend to purchase an ALCOR unit.

EGT's are not required equipment, and unless you are operating under an FAA operating certificate, ie, 135, a TSO'd unit is not required to be installed.

The bottom line, if it were me, and my checkbook, and I didn't want the headache, I would go with the ALCOR system. Just be sure and do not shorten any of the extension leads from the probes to the gauge, the length is critical as part of the calibrated resistance in the readings.

The ALCOR system can be calibrated after installation. Remove the probes from the exhaust pipe, use a propane torch to heat the probe to a "cherry red", and using the adjustment screw on the back of the instrument, adjust the needle to 3/4 scale. This doesn't take long to heat the probe, and you need two guys to do this.