Thread: New Paint
View Single Post
Unread 04-01-09, 10:10 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Well it's been 2 weeks and I have not seen the progress I had originally hoped for. I had a Citation in front of me and it's gone. Now the T-6 and it's just starting to get squirted. They have all the controls removed. Cowling is all off and the labor is starting to tackle the original paint. Lacquer. It's a four letter word in a paint shop. The original paint is lacquer from Cessna. It cannot be removed with power tools. It has to come off with good ol' elbow grease. Even though they did the chemical strip, all seams, every seam on the plane was taped to keep the chemical from migrating into the airframe. So the earlier photos above make it look like no big deal but while I was there yesterday it is a big deal. I worked on a couple spots for a long time and not much progress. The use MEK to remove the lacquer. Once the lacquer gets a little soft then it can be scrubbed with a scotch bright pad to help speed up the slow process. I have a deadline date and they promise they will make it with no problem. The new paint will be Polyurethane. The use JetGlo by Sherwin Williams. For some accent and stripes they might use Imron (Dupont) but the JetGlo is the standard. Lots of detail and they know their stuff. It has been a real interesting process so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2JF Paint 2.jpg
Views:	1072
Size:	223.2 KB
ID:	844   Click image for larger version

Name:	2JF Paint 2 controls.jpg
Views:	1120
Size:	295.4 KB
ID:	845   Click image for larger version

Name:	2JF Paint 2 door.jpg
Views:	1145