View Single Post
Unread 04-17-09, 07:10 AM

billsheila is an unknown quantity at this point
Question

Essentially I treat the Skymaster like a single engine plane on take off, once I'm high enough for no landing on the runway the gear comes up.[/quote]

I must be mis-understanding you. Why would you treat the Skymaster like a single engine plane on take off? For me the whole point of owning one and carrying around that extra hulk of steel and aluminum is mostly for this phase of flight, ie it is critically important that it will still climb in the event of a loss of a single engine on take off.

Regarding retraction, the data noted above from the O-2 manual suggests you indeed do have a version of a single engine (ie you are descending) if you put the gear in motion on one engine. No such data is quoted in my manual. The airplane is perfectly happy flying along with its legs hanging out and will apparently still maintain a positive rate of climb at Max Gross on one engine in such configuration. So I am confused as to why you would in effect be suggesting you turn your twin into a single by moving the gear handle. Of course once you have some altitude flying an "engine out" single isn't a big deal for 12-15 seconds of retraction time. But as I said, maybe I am just mis-reading your statement above.