View Single Post
Unread 04-17-09, 07:19 PM

Roger is an unknown quantity at this point
Down and Locked is good. Up and locked is good. In transit blows.

Yes the plane should climb with one engine out and the gear down under most scenerios ( ie.. standard day, or not overloaded, etc.. ) Always check your book and CG to be safe just in case.

My scenerio was classic in that I had set my Props and Throttle for cruise climb and was about 450' off the runway (which was sea level by the way) and I put the gear up. I hadn't flown it in about 3 weeks, and for whatever reason, the breaker popped. I knew almost instantly what was happening becuase it almost stopped climbing, looked out at my shaving mirror on the strut fairing, and saw the open door.

Moved my left knee away from the circuit breaker panel and was happy to see the popped breaker . Happy becuase it seemed like a no-brainer. Worse if you have stuck doors and the breaker is in, because at that point your potential for quick fix deteriorates. Popped the breaker back in, and doors closed immed.

I cycled the gear 3 times when at 2000 feet to make sure everything was working, and didn't have any more problems.

Once it happens to you (gear doors stay open) you won't ask the question "why wait" ever again. Sure you don't look like a fighter pilot, but it's worth the perceived humiliation