View Single Post
Unread 07-01-09, 09:58 AM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
I debated this option when I installed my new glass in February. I have seen one plane with the mod. Jack Dick was at the SOAPA flyin last year in Kalamazoo and his N/A late model aircraft had this mod. The plate is at the bottom and center of the windshield. It is about 6 inches long from the fuselage up into the windshield. It really was a nice option as I sat in his front seat and looked out the windshield with a non-obstructed view. I guess I just didn't research out the option for my install. I was so concerned with mounting the windshield correctly and in a reasonable time frame that it just was not thought about. Today I look at my install and finish and have no regrets of leaving the center post in. Cessna really wanted to eliminate the center post in their design but did not take the time to re-engineer the design to be able to remove the post. With the utility class of the Skymaster it was a critical part of the structure for the types of use. I have some pictures of Jack's plane but don't remember if the mod is clearly visible or not. Anyway that's just me.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years