View Single Post
Unread 07-03-09, 09:15 AM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Center post plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorris View Post
Herb,

You said the pics are the finishing step. Let me summarize where I think they are, please correct where I'm wrong. you've done the following in the two pics with no black goop:
- removed old windshield
- cleaned the area well (did you jsut use mineral spirits for that piece?)
- put the felt tape that came with window around the edges, being careful not to stretch it
- pushed the window into place (under upper screw positions, which were taken out during the removal process)
- taped off the area with the blue tape leaving about an inch on both sides, then extending out your tape line with masking tape (why did you use two different tapes, and what is the blue one)

Then it looks like in the black goop pic that you applied the Pro-seal fuel tank sealant in the crack all the way around the windshield.

My assumption is that you then let it cure for a couple of days and then applied the metal strips with screws (in my case still thinking rivets) - or did you apply the metal strips right after putting the windshield in place and let it cure in the final format (ie squeezed some by the metal strip)?

Any pics of the are in front with the screws versus rivets?

First photo is Jack's plane with the center post deletion. I forgot I had this photo and it details the plates really well.

Attached is the best picture I can find right now but I could go out and take a picture of the plane today with the new paint of these screws that replaced the rivets, You definitely want to use these screws, trust me, going back with rivets would be a nightmare. You get into this project and you will understand. Just order the screws so that you have them there because you will end up using them. The screw size is spelled out in the SM.

When the original windshield was removed, the clean up and prep started. I used all kinds of stuff to clean the airframe. Mineral spirits was there but I really didn't use much of that on this area. Mineral spirits work good for oil and grease but this is adhesive and glue that you are cleaning. I first used a plastic putty knife. My windshield was installed with green putty. It was still pliable after 40 years. After removing all the big stuff with the putty knife then it was Touline (like acetone) to remove the sticky adhesive type stuff. 2 days later it was ready for the new windshield. Well maybe not 2 days but it sure seemed like it. It's like performing surgery on you favorite dog and you're not a veterinarian. You going to really take your time and do things a little overboard.

http://www.337skymaster.com/messages...?t=2309&page=3

The ProSeal is used during the install of the new windshield. It is used on both sides of the edges of the windshield. I applied the ProSeal to the airframe and then pushed the windshield into it. On the bottom a bead was applied to the frame and after the windshield was put in place then another bead was put on the windshield to seal in the lower retainer strip. When the screws were installed some of the ProSeal squeezed out and other places I added more with a wooden paint stick forcing it the space. This ProSeal sealing process took about 4 - 6 hours of time to finish and clean up. Very tedious. It took me longer because I have never worked with this product before. The more I worked with it the more I understood it. With the pictures above at the paint shop when they applied the finish "caulk" seal around all the windows, they did the whole plane in about an hour. They do it everyday. Makes a huge difference.

The tape they used that is blue, it's a 3M plastic tape (like black electrical tape) and they use it for masking when they remove paint, striping when applying new paint and this window sealing. It works better than masking tape because it's plastic and it bends nicely and doesn't bleed through. It also removes nicely and when they did this ProSeal to the windows they pulled the tape off within the hour of apply the ProSeal.

The ProSeal is a two part product. The main component is cream color and the hardener is black. The more hardener the blacker the mix and the quicker the set. In the case of the photos above it was mixed very rich with black because of the dark color and it cured quicker. There was probably a month between installing the windshield and finishing the windows with the ProSeal at the paint shop.

The paint shops biggest concern was DO NOT USE SILICON, and don't seal around the windows until after the paint is applied. This way they were able to paint all the airframe up to the window without any seal in their way. That is one of the details that made my paint job come out so nice.

Good luck and just plan for lots of time (3 days minimum) so that you don't get frustrated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Center Post Del.jpg
Views:	1029
Size:	235.0 KB
ID:	949   Click image for larger version

Name:	2JF frt inst accss.jpg
Views:	994
Size:	320.0 KB
ID:	950  

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years

Last edited by hharney : 07-03-09 at 09:18 AM.