Thread: comm antennas
View Single Post
Unread 10-15-09, 07:40 PM

JeffAxel is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldoradave View Post
For my 73 P337 I am putting in an audio panel and 430 nav-comm-gps and given that my old radios didn't sound so good I wanted new coax and possibly antennas. What we found was that Cessna had installed a mickey mouse antenna switcher and only one antenna way back in the port fin.

Well, I am going to put in 2 new antennas and discard the antenna switcher and am trying to decide where to place them up front. I prefer not to put them on the belly as I may want to install a cargo pod and may go for the roof. But that brings up line of sight transmission worries to ground stations.

Can any of you comment on the location of your antennas, and my goal?

Dave Dillehay
N84E
Dave, you might want to check and be sure you don't have a comm antenna in each fin. I found out ot my surprise that my plane did, so I had a spare antenna to use for my handheld. Also be sure and check with whoever is installing anything that punctures the pressure vessel. Some FSDO's require a DER sign-off with appropriate drawings, load analysis, etc before they will approve any new holes in a pressure vessel, and this will cost......a good reason to mount the antennas on the wings and route the coax thru existing wiring passages. Hopefully your folks are more reasonable, but the airplane wouldn't be airworthy in my area without the proper documentation of the basis for the new holes....