View Single Post
Unread 11-15-09, 11:05 AM

rmorris is an unknown quantity at this point
labor fees too much? Annual inspection question

Below is an excerpt from an email I sent to a mechanic I trust to get his opinion. it occurs to me that getting some more opinions out there would also be worthwhile. Please qualify your opinions with a little background (ie you are a mechanic, your an owner but had xyz experince, etc). Thanks (and I can be reached directly at rmorris@agsi.us)
-------------------
Basically not even getting to the other items, he had 45.5 hrs on the front engine for r&r of the front exhaust, r&r (and replacing the piston rings with a new set) on cyl #3 & cyl #6 - both front engine, and replacing 10 adel clamps front engine compartment - plus another 3 hrs to time the mag on the front engine. He told me that was how much time his top engine guy took and that he had issues along the way. I think even with issues this was way too much. Any idea on what reasonable times (even adding in a little for 'issues') would be on this set of items.

I went to test the airplane today and the front engine is not making full power, nor full fuel flow for take-off. Run-up looks fine. When I throw the throttle forward I get around 26.5 on both the rpm and manifold, and 15.6 on the fuel flow. I did 2 take-offs that way, then landed it and asked him to look at it. I was thinking it was fuel flow being set low on the high side, but the more I think about the more I think it might have just been the turbo wastegate not opening, or partially opening.

Just once I want to take a plane in for work, and NOT have a huge story to tell.
--------------------------
-Robert
________
Best Portable Vaporizer

Last edited by rmorris : 03-12-11 at 12:05 PM.