View Single Post
Unread 11-15-09, 09:24 PM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
Hi Robert,

Here is another opinion for you to ponder. I can certainly relate to your feelings of wondering if you are getting what you pay for. Certainly owning and operating a Skymaster or any airplane for that matter is going to be a pricey affair. The way I look at it for me personally is this.

I know for certain I am not even close to being qualified to maintain my airplane though I do get my hands greasy at every annual. I wish I were. What that leaves me with is my gut feeling on how I feel the shop is treating me. I try very hard to treat my shop guys well. I have frequently taken my lead mechanic and his wife out for dinner and I am doing that again this week. Some of the secondary guys I have given "tips" to on the side knowing full well they are under paid for the important work they do day in and day out. What this has accomplished over the years is always getting very friendly service every time I walk in the shop and year to year the airplane has never left me walking. It really comes down to having a good personal relationship with the guys in the shop. My goal is to inspire them to want to do good by me. I know they do not always get it right the first time and I know for sure they are not perfect but I always feel that they mean well and for the most part they demonstrate competence.

If your gut is telling you the service is not right then I would suggest trying another shop. Just remember though, maintenance is a two way street. You must demonstrate a willingness to maintain the airplane correctly and pony up the $ to do this and in return hopefully the shop will want to do it right and as efficiently as they can because they like you.

The other option, which I wish I had the time for, is get your A&P and IA and do it yourself. I hope this helps because I understand that writing these checks can be painful. The problem is never flying my Skymaster again would be more painful. The day this changes though is the day I deliver it to the salvage yard.

Good Luck

Ed