View Single Post
Unread 11-16-09, 10:13 AM

tropical is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorris View Post
I agree with the whole trust thing. But here's the deal, I trust the owner a ton since he has worked on my plane out of a trailer for the past year and half. He bought this new new hangar (with some buiness partners) and also got a few mechanics in the deal. When I took the plane to him (after calling to schedule the annual) I thought HE was doing the work as usual. Turns out that he now wants to sit behind a desk as Direcctor of Maint and has these other guys doing the work.
This appears that you really don't trust the owner of the shop. If this is the case take your plane elsewhere for the next repair.

Quote:
I do however doubt that it would take me 17 hrs to remove & re-install the exhaust by myself. As a little background, I did many things in the Navy and one of them was the rating of Engineman - which among other things tears down and reapirs huge diesel engines on ships. So I think I can look at a mechanical job and at least have an informed opinion. Again - 17 hrs was the charge for the exchaust itself. 3 hrs to remove and replace 10 adel clamps all easily accessible on the front engine.
Find a mechanic that will let you do the work and sign it off for you. It will be then that you will see what's really involved here. There is a huge difference between working on a diesel ship engine and an airplane.

Quote:

Also, when removing the exhaust, I told them we would put on all new hardwaqre and clamps, and the exhaust itself was deliberately being removed to send off for overhaul by Dawley - so not a lot of 'saving' had to be done during its removal. Now that the exhaust was removed, the cylinders should've been pretty darn accessible.
There is alot to do to remove the exhaust, especially on the turbo model. Had the mechanic just beat up everything to get the exhaust off the engine how would you feel?

Bottom line, take your plane elsewhere or do the maintenance yourself.