View Single Post
Unread 03-04-10, 10:00 AM

Roger is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree that it's good to calculate the fuel, given that the guages are so temperamental. I put in the fuel computer to track the useage, but I will caution you that I also had a fuel leak from the cork seal at the top of the right wing (tank inspection port) that drained fuel away one time that of course the computer didn't pick up.

Liekwise an old timer crashed his C150 bush plane 100 yards from the fence down here at SGJ a few weeks ago, and said to the NTSB/FAA/Local Cops, " the guages didn't work but I knew exactally how much fuel I had becuase I always calculate it, there is a leak in the tank".

So meanwhile the plane is sitting at the shop that is doing my annual, and the IA there was asked by the FAA to put 10 gallons in the wings of the 150, and a week later nothing leaked out. It's not going to work out to well for the pilot, but at least he didn't get injured.

Which brings me back to the point that it is better to get the guages fixed, then to rely on other systems that do not give you real quantity. Use the computer or calucluations for planning. Use the guages for flying.