View Single Post
Unread 08-31-02, 01:01 PM

Remans

José Luis,

The other sensible consideration for getting factory remans is that if you ever want to sell the plane outside Venezuela (Here in the US) the local ovehaul is going to be worth nothing no matter how good it is. With the market being as it is in Venezuela, the value of the plane in other markets is a very important consideration. I am selling my Cherokee here in the US, and although the Engine was done by aeromotores Navas which is a very good shop, and the engine has only 450 Hrs. I have to sell the airplane as if the engine had 2000 hrs, because whoever buys it is going to have to do an overhaul on it. Or at least have an AP open the engine and recertify it, it would still be a good deal for the buyer, but not for the seller.

The other consideration of importance is that you check very well with the MTC to see if any other brand of cylinders are approved by them. I know for instance that the only thing they would validate as an OH in the US is the factory, if you were to do an OH at any other shop in the US, they would not consider iy an OH, therefore would not issue an AC to the airplane. Even if many people have bought millenium or other cylinders in Venezuela, usually they do it at a top OH and therefore is is not an issue with the MTC TBO standards.

I'd strongly suggest you go for the factory remans eve though this is going to be a little more expensive in the short term, it is going to raise the value of your plane. If you decide not to go for the remans, I'd definitley look for aa FAA approved shop, there are some of those in Venezuela.

Regards,

Ignacio