View Single Post
Unread 04-25-10, 09:33 PM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
Hi Karl,

I am an air traffic controller at Chicago Center as well as a Skymaster owner. From what I hear at work, the answer to your question is yes. ADS-B will display traffic and weather similar to the way the various multifunction displays do now and it is my understanding that once ADS-B is fully operational and aircraft are properly equipped, all this information is available at no charge. I also believe the last target date was something like 2016 for full implementation. This could be inaccurate but for some reason this date sticks in my brain.

I have worked for the FAA for nearly 20 years and from my observations, the probability of anything getting done when the FAA says so is zero. ADS-B is quite complex and the goal for the FAA is to replace ground based radar with ADS-B. This is a lofty goal for the agency and one with HUGE safety implications for the flying public. The agency will move slowly, deliberately, and carefully before they pull the plug on radar and become fully dependent on ADS-B.

That said, I am all for ADS-B. I think if it works as advertised, it would be a very useful addition to the flight decks of all aircraft. I would however not spend one penny on any equipment for my airplane until it becomes mandated after the system is fully up and running. That could take a decade or more. If you want uploaded Wx and traffic info, you would most likely be waiting a long time for ADS-B to fill that roll entirely.

I do believe the ADS-B system will be implemented in segments and I think there are locations that it may even be running now. I am a pessimist myself so I will wait as long as possible before I would invest. In other words, I will believe it when I see it.

Ed