View Single Post
Unread 08-13-11, 06:05 PM
bigcheese

n86121 is on a distinguished road
Talking Skymaster redo bits and pieces

Over the years here's what I've done to mine:

Interior plastic:
Planeplastics - I replaced all the interior sisde window etc plastic. The new stuff is about twice the weight of the original flimsy stuff and easy to paint/finish. I also had leather over all windowframe plastic, etc. Quite posh.

Sun Visors:
Planeplastics also have ARFC sun visors which simply go into the existing brackets for $190. I wasn't psychologically prepared to spend $600 on rosens for sunvisors. I put heatshrink tubing around the metal support rods to give plenty of friction.

Sound Proofing:
When the interior was being redone I replaced all the useless stuff Cessna had in there, and put in the thickest sound-proofing material I could find. It dropped the ambinet noise so much that afterwards I started actually hearing updraft winds with my bose. Cover every inch you can find.

Seat Covers:
Years ago I bought Rmsheepskin seat covers. Good ones out front for my wife and I, thinner ones in the back for the kids to spill on. Cool in summer, warm in winter. Add about 1" of cushion. Very comfortable. Protect or ignore whatever seat condition lies beneath!

Headliners / Side Panels / Carpets
Airtex interiors has all of these for 337s. (As Potomac Airfield is over the hill from Andrews AFB, and I know a few people, I had the guy that did USAF 1 do mine custom, and quie inexpensively, but went with airtex headliner for all the weird fittings).

Windshield:
Back in 1989 my 'thrasher had original thin foggy window. Can't remember who I bought it from, but went with modern and thicker windshield. Years ago Cessna told me windshield has huge impact on noise level too.

I have had it tied down outside Washington DC (at least facing north) without cover for 20 years and the plastic is still clear. I use 'mirror glaze' on it occasionally, but not often. Autobody shops have told me that covers can grind whatever gets under them.

And yes folks, I'm getting my 337 fixed!
Fresh paint as well as some avionics upgrades.
Had the insurance company total it out, and send me the cash and I kept the airplane.
Will send photos before and after.

D
Fort Washington, MD 20744