View Single Post
Unread 09-14-02, 02:38 PM
George M. Amthor, Jr.

GMAs is on a distinguished road
Oppsss.. I goofed... it should have read...

ME78-2... sorry... it is in one of the revisions... where they cover the 1902.. series no's... which some thought were exempt from inspecting... that was the basis of the AD which the FAA messed up on... smile... but, they go with the All others of the same A6CE type certificated products. Which includes them all... I guess... sort of a grey area... but, its better to error on the safe side than sorry kinda thing... but, at first appearances... Guy is right... however when you dig around... it makes you scratch your head.. and wonder...

However, AD's.. which stand for AFTER DEATH... are supposed to help... guide you on your examination... and thus a IA should be able to figure out if he needs to go further into a area to insure safety...

Again the planes were all made from the same material... same drawings.. and put togeather the same... some had mods but, none were in that area.. so if it applies to one... and they all have the same TC then it applies to all... unless it has a mod to note the fact... this is not like the prop hubs... kinda thing... where they were made different and have a change notice..

Matter of fact I would check the rear spar more than the fwd one... as that is where we have seen problems.. and it makes logical deductions that the stress is greatest on that section by the boom mounts... their you only have to do a die penatrant test... easy and quick... kinda thing... and actually you can tell real quick with out it because it will have lots of gunsmoke around the crack area.. starting from the rivet out... as that area doesn't get cleaned often... to replace the rear spar is bear.. but, it can be done... as its a piece of streight metal... and you don't have to take the wing off... to do it... kinda thing... but, lots of time involved... cheeper to find a nother wing GMAs