View Single Post
Unread 01-09-12, 10:41 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Tanks are internal and made from aluminum. The mains (outboard) are two separate tanks coupled together and make up 90 gallons usable. If there are inboard auxiliary tanks, these are inside the wing inboard the booms. 18 gallons usable for each side. Again these are aluminum tank inside the wing. Panels on the top side of the wing provide serviceable access.

Skymaster handles crosswinds well. I have landed in some pretty gusty situations. While living in Southern Idaho for 40+ years a slight cross wind was 25 gusting to 35. That was just normal. I didn't worry until the controller said 30 gusting to 40. The desert mountains and plains as you described can be windy.

My rear engine had over 2400 hours on it before it was replaced. Treat them right and they will supply long service.

I don't recall any AD's on the props. I would have to look that up.

Be very cautious of ramp queens. The purchase price is enticing but that's when the honeymoon ends. You can spend some big dollars on bringing a sleeping Skymaster to life. I would have a good per-buy performed by a mechanic that understands Skymasters. This is a must.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years