View Single Post
Unread 01-17-12, 10:20 PM

SkyMac is on a distinguished road
Herb and Ernie are passing on good advice, cheap is very rarely the best when it comes to a skymaster or in fact any plane.

You will always come agross a bargin or so you may think. I spent two years looking for a 337G that had not been as we say 'Tarted Up" to sell, a project was what I was after and I had been offered many bargins.

I found one with 1900hrs TT, mid engines and very low prop times but that's where it stopped. It was also one that had not been visually touched up in years, maintanence well ??? so basically you knew what you were in for from the start, and be prepared for that + more.

Herb gave a list of things you need to look at, to help, make sure you get hold of a service manual and check the replacment times for all identified components and when they were last done, these will cost and can quickly add up.

I stripped a wing on the weekend (my 337 is fully disassembled) and as Herb mentions watch the flap cables, even though mine were getting replaced regardless I found broken strands on the old ones, even at 1900hrs TT.

If it has recently been painted, ask what type of paint job, strip and respray or a sand and paint over. I had seen many a plane with a light sand and paint over, these can hid things and give you a suprise at a later stage.

Ernie has put together a very good package of information on where to buy parts, this has been invaluable to myself and no doubt many others. You don't need to buy from Cessna, mind you I have spent a small fortune with them lately for the little things.

As a project plane mine was perfect and suited my needs, it is still a way off completion. In the end it will owe me a considerable amount more than what it is worth, but thats the great thing about choice.

This forum is full of very knowledgeable people regarding skymasters, far beyond my knowledge and they are always willing to help. One thing I do know is that I will be asking them for more advice as we progress.

Good luck with finding what your after.

Dave