View Single Post
Unread 09-29-02, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Bob:

Thanks for the quick reply. I've edited the earlier message to clarify that the doors stayed closed throughout and that I then flew to Miami with the gear down. I also made clear that the undervoltage lights REMAINED ON even after I moved the switch back to the down position.

I will pursue your suggestions, but now that I've clarified the original message, do they still fit the problem? For instance:

Squat switch: if this was the cause, we wouldn't get the undervoltage conditions. It seems the powerpack is trying, given the voltage drop.

Breaker: this never tripped. Once I reset (to get back to a normal electrical condition), I would try it again and have a repeat of before, so the powerpack seems to come on again.

That leaves the bad battery connections. Both engines started strong, without any indication of weakening power, and I would guess that a starter draws more than the powerpack. When I first considered this suggestion, I thought that it could not be, because the undervoltage lights REMAINED ON even after I moved the switch back to the down position and you'd figure that things would go back to normal once I took the powerpack load off. But of course you may be right, if the undervoltage was large enough that both alternators tripped off. And this (both alternators tripping off) is probably what happened.

I'll check all, especially the battery connections, but if you have any other thoughts after these clarifications, please post them.

Thanks.
Ernie