View Single Post
Unread 03-07-14, 11:39 AM

B2C2 is on a distinguished road
Hi Jim

I did an experiment yesterday where I took the battery off the charger for two days then started up the plane. All of the symptoms went away, indicating that in my case it is an effect of a fully charged battery being close to the regulator output voltage. This is consistent with it not showing up with my old beat up battery. I don't think this is much to worry about as it doesn't exceed 30V by much and fixes itself after a few minutes of running even for a fresh off the charger battery. I should mention that in addition to the new regulators and rebuilt alternator, I went through the field wiring with a meter and found that under some circumstances I could see high resistance through the alternator switch when I actuated it repeatedly. so I replaced it. Also there is a jumper lead that goes across that switch to give the regulator access to both alternators. Take a look at this as mine was heavily oxidized (black) and so I replaced it with fresh crimps. Check all the crimps associated with the field wiring for good measure. Also check the connections to the lugs attached to the field terminal on the alternator. My front alternator field lead had one strand left from lots of vibration.

Ben